Feel free to stop reading now and storm off in a huff.
Although it took a full week, we finally received the results of the bone marrow biopsy. Lois has indeed relapsed with MDS and curiously has the same number of blast cells in her bone marrow that she did back in January. The chromosomal abnormality in her marrow (4 copies of #21 and 4 copies of #8) is exactly the same as it was in January, too. Wish we could have found this out a bit sooner and saved our girl from several rounds of high dose chemo that obviously didn't do her bone marrow nor her hair any good.
The pathologist who studied her marrow told Dr. M it just "didn't make sense." I'm not sure what to make of that comment? I guess we can just add it to the list of rules my daughter refuses to follow. Even her bone marrow insists on being unconventional. In fact, the most startling revelation to come from all of this bone marrow testing is that Lois has mosaicism.
All of my readers who are part of the DS community just made some kind of loud exclamation.
Weird, right?
If you don't have a child with DS, you might want to google "mosaic down syndrome" and do a little reading. We'll wait here for you.
Apparently only 90% of Lois's cells have the extra copy of 21. Don't most mosaic's have a larger percentage of cells WITHOUT the extra copy? I believe we now have scientific proof that my child is completely unique - even on the cellular level.
Unique. Unconventional. She's one in a million. But in the world of pediatric cancer, it's not always a good thing to be so unique.
Dr. M has had no success at finding a documented case of MDS relapsing with MDS. Nor had any of the physicians at the Children's Oncology Group meeting in Texas had any experience with such a situation. Their recommendations were for high dose chemotherapy to achieve a remission, and a bone marrow transplant to correct what is inherently wrong with Lois's stem cells. And so that's the plan Dr. M has laid out for us.
We started 5 days of chemo on Wednesday morning. Lois is receiving 2 hours of a nasty, vile, heavy hitting drug that none of our nurses had ever heard of nor administered before -followed by a 2 hour break and then 2 hours of Ara-C, the same drug she had in all 6 of her previous treatments. We will do that 5 times, 24 hours apart and then be released from the hospital. Two big hurdles will follow:
#1 - Stay fever/infection free. Dr. M. has already told me to expect Lois will land back in the hospital with a fever. This is a heavy dose of chemo that will knock out her marrow and make it very slow to recover. That means an extended period of time without white blood cells. And that's dangerous. A fever at the beginning of the recovery process is especially dangerous as it will be weeks before her body is able to produce infection fighting cells. Things could go horribly wrong during that time. They offered us the option to have Lois remain in the hospital until her counts begin to recover. But my fear is that she's more likely to pick up something in the hospital (and have that something be a BAD something like MRSA, or RSV) than she is at home.
#2 - When she begins to recover they will repeat the bone marrow aspiration. Our hope is that Lois gets back into remission with one treatment. Although if that happens, Dr. M still wants to repeat the infusion she's receiving now one more time before we go ahead with a bone marrow transplant. But if Lois does NOT manage to get back to remission after this treatment, I'm not sure what that will mean for her future. Harder hitting drugs. Longer periods of neutropenia. It makes me sick to my stomach to think about.
I've educated myself quite a bit on bone marrow transplants in the past week and I've learned a lot of interesting things which I will share with you in the coming weeks. After my research, and talks with Dr. M I am LESS fearful of the process and MORE hopeful that Lois can, and will, survive. Mac's cheeks have been swabbed, as have Lois's and we are anxiously awaiting the results of that testing. Mac does not have to be a perfect match for Lois in order for her to receive his cord blood. But obviously, a perfect match is optimal. It's what we want and what we think we deserve. Don't you think we deserve a little bit of "good" luck? That maybe the odds could fall in our favor just this once?
And so we arrive at the title of my blog entry for tonight. Fifty, schmifty. If there isn't a documented case of a child with MDS relapsing with MDS, then how does anyone know her chances of surviving it? I pressed Dr. M. to give me numbers because I felt I needed them, but now I'm not so sure.
Yes, I understand there is a chance my daughter may not survive this medical crisis. I spent 24 hours crying about that. Planning her funeral. Being bitter and angry. But I contend that it isn't possible to live a productive life in that emotional state. I had to come to terms with the 50% chance that Lois doesn't survive. But I can't live with that 50% every day. That seems like it would be hard to do, right? But it isn't when you live with Lois. Lois, who is so full of life and happiness. Who amuses me and amazes me at every turn. Who just received a devastating medical diagnosis and is seemingly thumbing her nose at it.
Instead, Jay and I choose to live with the 50% chance that Lois will come through this dark trial on the other side, grinning from ear to ear and wondering what all the fuss was about. I believe to my very core that she is capable of winning this war. Don't you?
Then it is time to dry your tears, my friends. We have to acknowledge that horrible 50% chance that cancer will take Lois from us, but we do not have to live in it. Instead, we will live in hope, in wonder, and in amazement at Lois's courage and determination to live.
It's a MUCH happier place to be. Believe me.
25 comments:
fifty schmifty is right!!!!!!!! catherine, you are such an inspiration! what an example of what it is to be an amazing mother. i am with you 100%. and i, for one, think doctors know so little about so much that to give any weight to the 'numbers' and 'odds' does us no good anyway. you've got the right attitude. and lois is so lucky to have you <3
I know Lois is going to survive!
As always,
My heart,
Lisa
It is Thursday night in Cburg...I looked at he blog today and did not see this post. So I wondering if it was really posted on Wed. or Thurs.? If you have lost track of what day it is get in line behind Aunt Clara. I like the notion of 50% chance of life and survival and happiness. Lois takes after her Mom, not a rule follower....sounds like a good thing to me. Your glass is more than half full is it overflowing with hope, faith, and belief that sunny skies will burst through the clouds. Loving you all and smiling as I read your words of encouragement and courage.
Your Green Friend
SHE WILL MAKE IT !!! I have reposted to my FB page on bone marrow donation "Be the Match"...Lois has a cheering squad!!! And on the Mosaic DS...WOW...my brother Chris was a Mosaic...I know how rare and wonderful this is:-) (sounds weird , I know!!)She can do this..you - her wonderful parents CAN DO THIS !!!
I have always believed you guys were glass half full kind of people. Here's to the power of positive thinking. Sending positive thoughts and love your way.
Gigi
Absolutely right!!! The question of living with the negative 50% doesn't arise, don't even dwell on that for a moment, don't let any negative thoughts creep in, bacause positive energy is what you and Lois needs right now. I will be praying constantly for Lois as will so many many others I know. Stay brave and stay full of positive energy, it's powers can move mountains. Hugs to your precious butterbean.
The enigma girl can do it, oh yes!
And WTJ about Mosaicism? So bizarre at this late date!
Here's another weird thing: everyone has at least a few trisomic cells.
I don't understand the quadrosomy issue--how does that impact the effect of chemo? I'm in the camp with the pathologist--it doesn't make sense.
I'd imagine that most DIAGNOSED Mosaic Ds have greater than 50%, because many who have less than that don't present many identifying features. There is a sizable population of undiagnosed MDs people, who perhaps have had no issues, or whose issues are mild enough to not merit attention. Of course, a lot depends on when the trisomy occurs in the development of the fetus.
Hey--fortunately I had a genetics counseling grad student in my house all day yesterday. I'll make her sort this out for us so we can understand it better if you want!
"we will live in hope, in wonder, and in amazement at Lois's courage and determination to live."
We will all take that lead and pray like crazy as we go.No other way.
Sending peace and love from California.
Continuing to pray for Lois and for the rest of you! She sure does like to defy the odds so why shouldn't this be just another way that she beats them? Keep fighting Lois!!!!
I know that a bone marrow transplant for children with DS can be more toxic. But the docs also know this and make the necessary adjustments. WHen Kristen relapsed with AML they didn't think they could get her into remission for a transplant. They hoped that maybe 2 or 3 rounds and maybe she would be there. But no! after 1 round she was there. She flew through transplant. I have no doubt that your little Lois can do this. by the way, you have an army praying for Lois and your family. Because of Lois many of us through our blogs and facebook have joined "be the match" the national marrow registry. Several of us have already received our kits in the mail. Mine came today. I'll be sending it back tomorrow. Because of Lois hundreds are joining.
I'm drying my eyes! Not so easy after this post, and following your lead! Yes I do believe your little one in a million spitfire can do this!
ALWAYS!! In my prayers!
Beautiful post Cath. I managed to read the whole thing even though something got in my eye about halfway through... probably sawdust or gun powder or something else really manly.
Anyway thanks for the update. We're thinking about you guys every day.
You absolutely deserve some good luck and Lois is a fighter!!! She's going to give it all she's got and then some. Here's hoping and praying for NO fevers. And I hear you about wanting to stay out of the hospital - they are germy places!!!! Hugs and love from your virtual family and friends!
Cathy, you write so beautifully. I think you should do it professionally. Best of luck to little Lois. ;-)
My Lois has certainly shown everyone on her medical team who is boss so far, and all with a happy smile on her face. (She lives by the 'never let em see you sweat' motto) Fifty, schmifty is right. We march forward and count me in on your team. Whatever I can do...I am there. I like to clean, put me on the #1 detail, keeping your home germ free. I will come with a mask, gloves and germicide. I can also throw on some good italian food while I'm there. What the germicide doesn't kill the garlic odor will.
praying so hard for your Lois...what a fighter...
Keep thinking positive...
I Love your attitudes. Keep fighting the good fight. We will keep praying here.
My heart goes out to you. I was so heartened to hear that Lois was back in preschool as she had such great fun last semester in our class! With her smile and laughter and clapping to music...what a joy Lois is to be around! My prayers are for your continued strength through all this and that Lois obtains a great match.
She will make it. Praying so hard for you guys.
You are incredible! Your honesty, openness, and fighting spirit is downright inspiring. Lois is so blessed to have you as her mom. I can't even imagine what you and Jay must be going through yet every time I read your blog I see all over again what a strong person you are. Keep going fearlessly. My prayers are w/ you, your little girl, and your family.
(((HUGS))) my friend, I know this is one of the most difficult things to bear but you have people around you to support you and to love you and to help you get through it. Lois is a fighter, a determined little girl, she will make it through.
Absolutely she can do it. Cheering in your team right now!
I am not a fan of odds. It was practically my major in college and I lived by statistics. Then Liv was born, after we had been given 1 in 6,500 odds of having a child with DS. Now, odds mean nothing. No amount of research, sampling, etc. can account for the human spirit. And Lois has that in spades, she WILL pull through this and we will be here with you along the way. We will pray, hope, and do everything we can to help you guys. When you end up on the wrong side of the 50%, just remember that those odds have nothing to do with the life force that is Lois. She will kick this cancer in the arse and laugh along the way. That's just how she rolls! ;)
Thank you so much for sharing this at a time when probably the last thing you want to do is be on your ocmputer.
My family will be sending good thoughts your way.
Happy Birthday Lois! You are amazing. Happy Three!!
Post a Comment