Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Pray for Evie

By now I'm sure you know that children with DS are more likely to develop leukemia - and Lois has an even MORE increased risk thanks to myelo-proliferative disorder. She was born with this condition - a kind of temporary leukemia. It resolved itself within days, but until she turns 2, her risk of a recurrence is very high. We have her blood tested every month - see our heaven-sent oncologist in Roanoke every other month - and try to keep the possibility of Lois developing leukemia as far from our minds as possible.

In February, we received word that a little girl in our DS group was diagnosed with leukemia and was being treated at the UVA hospital in Charlottesville. Evie and her parents live in Buckingham County - an hour and a half drive from Richmond. And yet, they make the effort to attend DSAGR meetings from time to time. We met them at a meeting in November. Evie's parents are my parent's age - they adopted Evie last year, traveling the whole way to Utah to bring her home. Evie is two months older than Lois and looks strikingly similar to our butter bean. When we heard that Evie was at UVA and receiving chemotherapy, our playgroup sprang into action and organized a sunshine basket for both Evie and her mother who is staying with Evie in the hospital. Jay was our delivery boy. He left work during lunch and dropped by the hospital to see little Evie and her Mom.

The result of that visit was the post he made on the blog two weeks ago. His visit with Evie traumatized him. She had developed pneumonia and was intubated and heavily sedated when Jay arrived. I believe he took one look at that little girl and immediately saw his own butter bean lying there. How could he not? If I had been the one delivering the baskets that day, I would have run from that hospital and never looked back - unable to face my own worst fears for my daughter. But not my man. As hard as his visit was, he told Evie's mother he'd like to come back and visit again next week. I think Jay needs to see Evie get well. He told me he wanted to see Evie smile at him.

Unfortunately, Evie's condition has worsened. She has been placed on a heart and lung machine in order to give her damaged lungs a chance to rest and hopefully begin to heal. Yesterday's email told us she is now on dialysis and has unexplained fluid in her abdomen. They are worried her bowel has somehow been perforated, and they are unable to operate due to the amount of blood thinners she is taking.

Evie needs a miracle. Would you please spare a moment of your day today to send up a prayer or positive thought for our friend? My good Catholic friends in Blacksburg and Washington Boro - you know who you are - I'm really counting on you two. If there is a God in Heaven and he is listening, I know the two of you have a direct line.

Jay and Lois and I thank you.

2 comments:

GiGi said...

Thank you so much for posting this. With the background you gave I was able to determine that Evie's family lives near my sister and that this was the little girl she was telling me about. The Curves where she works is selling raffle tickets to help raise money for Evie.I called her about the prayer request and as she passed it on to the ladies who came in she sold out of tickets and had to call for more. It truly is a small world and just know that many people are praying for her tonight. Please keep us posted about how she is doing. God bless you.

Anonymous said...

I have thought so much about this little girl and her family. Prayers are being sent.
G