Saturday, February 6, 2010

They can't all be chipper......

I'm on the couch keeping Jay company while he watches The Davinci Code for the umpteenth time. I think we are both looking for something to take our minds away from the rigors of day to day life with a cancer patient in the house. Being in the hospital sucked. But being at home with a child who's blood is experiencing the effects of 4 days of continuous chemotherapy is no treat, either. My new friends who have found us through this blog and whose children have gone through a similar course of treatment told me we would be ordered to stay in the hospital until Lois's white blood cell count returned to normal. But apparently, the protocol has changed within the last 8 months, and children like Lois are now allowed to return home and have their blood counts monitored through the outpatient clinic. I initially thought that was good news. Now I'm not so sure.

The day after we got home Lois broke out in a red splotchy rash. Then we noticed her breathing was shallow. She wasn't gasping for breath, but she was taking shorter, more frequent breaths. I called the clinic. The chemo drugs she received can cause a rash. And her breathing was probably the result of low hemoglobin. She was infused the day we left the hospital, but apparently, that wouldn't be enough to bring her counts back up to the normal levels. No cause for alarm, they told me. So I've spent the past several nights worrying about Lois's breathing as she slumbered in her crib.

Friday we visited the clinic for a regularly scheduled appointment. Surprisingly, her blood counts were OK. Not normal, but not low enough to infuse. So why the shallow breathing? We headed to radiology for a chest X-ray. Normal. They are scratching their heads, but continue to tell me not to worry. Easier said than done.

We go back Tuesday for another blood check - this time with the assumption she will need an infusion since the chemo has it's maximum effect on the blood about 7 days after treatment. The following Friday we return for another bone marrow aspiration and more blood if needed. If her marrow shows that the chemo has worked and the nasty cells are disappearing, we can schedule her next infusion.

She's not eating, but pitifully seems to be interested in food yet unable to stomach it. It's hard to watch her sit at the table and watch us eat. But when offered food, she cries. Yogurt and cereal seem to be the only two foods going down these days. She's drinking a fair amount of juice and loves a few sips of Momma's caffeine free diet coke from time to time. But that's it. She's limp. She just wants to be held. It hurts my soul to see her like this.

This is a no frills report, and I apologize for that. I'm still trying to shake off this horrible bug that has hit all 4 members of the Hogan family. Momma held off as long as she could. I knew I was starting to get sick those last 2 days in the hospital, but it wasn't until we walked out the doors and got in the car that I looked at Jay and said, "I'm sick." Funny, don't you think? By the time I got to the doc-in-a-box that evening, my fever was over 100 and my blood pressure was a startling 174/110. I'm taking medication for the bronchitis and the blood pressure, but I'm hoping my blood pressure issues were due to the stress of the previous week.

Tonight I just seem to be having trouble avoiding the inevitable question of Why Us? I'm feeling angry. Resentful. Dreading the next 6 months of fear and uncertainly regarding Lois's health.

But tomorrow is a new day, and hopefully it will bring with it a new attitude.

Forgive me the occasional pity party, won't you?

For the emails, phone calls, hospital visits, goody bags, blog comments, and meals we are eternally grateful for: Gwen, Sonja, Phyllis and Darren, Dennis and Allison, Kimy, Evelyn, Fitz, Grandma Betty, Miss Jessica, Heather, and Beth. We owe you. xoxoxo

16 comments:

Angi said...

All you CAN do is hold on tight to that wonderful little girl of yours, my thoguhts and prayers are with you...

Heather said...

Wishing I had all the right words but knowing all too well, from experience,that there is nothing to be said.Just sending you love and prayers and an email in a bit ....

My name is Sarah said...

Thinking of you every moment.

Denise said...

Wish you weren't in this place right now. At least it sounds like things are doing what they should be doing so I guess that is a good thing. Praying that tomorrow is a better day for you all!!

Carey said...

I'm so sorry - and I know how bad it sucks. Yes, you can say it, it sucks bad. I'm thinking the first round has Ara-C, right? My Chelsea broke out in awful rashes after Ara-C. The dr's were stumped, convinced it was her detergent, an allergic reaction to something. Nope. Ara-C. Now when we go anywhere and they ask if she's allergic to anything, I'm like ... well, yeah. Ara-C chemotherapy. ;) The good thing is nothing more ever came of it, she just looked awful for a while. Here are some pix of her rash, scroll down, you can see her elbow in the one where she's sleeping. It was awful!!! http://cbranam.blogspot.com/2007/10/my-cutie.html

Praying for Miss Lois!!!

Anonymous said...

What about the yaya

Cathy said...

Cath, Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and your baby girl and all your family is in my prayers. Love you!

Cathy

Beth said...

I pretty much said everything on FB, but I do really believe that you have every right to feel beaten down and morose. Don't rush through it. This isn't a cheerful disease. You'll pick yourself up and dust yourself off when you need to.
(My word verification is "schmerso"--the definition of which I am now assigning--it means "the crappy feeling of having a very sick kid and a household turn upside down".)

Anna said...

hope the meds help you and that you let yourself just feel what you are feeling. Dont apologize. Let it be what it is. You are allowed to feel the feelings that are in you. {hugs}

Anonymous said...

*tight hugs*

Unknown said...

Hey guys, I am so glad you are home in your own beds. Please know that the feelings you are having ARE normal, shoot I still have them and it will be 2 years in August when he was diagnosed. All you can do is hold her so tight that she feels as comfortable as she can. Pretty soon she will be back to herself and once the steroids kick in (if that is in her protocol) she will be eating you out of house and home. There is nothing right now that I can say or anyone for that matter can say to change the way you feel about the next 6 months. Just know that you are not alone and you have every right to be scared, angry, and anything else you are feeling, this is your baby for crying out loud. Call everytime you feel something is wrong, you know Lois better then the doctors do. If they keep saying nothing is wrong and you think there is, keep calling. That is what I do, I have probably been called a few choise names, but I dont care, they dont have a child with cancer..WE DO. Hang in there, stay strong and keep your heads up. We go back to the clinic on the 23rd, maybe we will see you down there. Give Lois a kiss for me.

Tina said...

Lois is on my mind and in my prayers constantly...praying that things go as smoothly as they possibly can. Love to that little angel of your.

Susanna said...

All I can send is love, hugs, and prayers. And we all need a pity party ever so often... don't apologize for that. Keep smiling:)

Anonymous said...

Catherine
I am thinking of you and your family every night. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kim B

Mama Mason-Mann said...

You are absolutely allowed to have a pity party or two (or three or whatever it takes). I'm sure this road you are about to travel will be filled with MANY down AND up moments. Try to hold on to the up moments as hard and as long as you can. Although I don't know you and we fortunately don't have first experience with this please know that I'm here sending you positive thoughts and mojo and ready to take this journey along with you to offer virtual hugs and support. Your sweet little Lois is an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

My heart!

Lisa