Because I'm such a lazy slug and I didn't get a card in the mail - and because I happen to know he's an avid reader of the blog, I'm hijacking Lois's blog today to wish one of my former students and a good friend a very Happy Birthday!

Happy 21st Birthday, JK!
JK is one of the students who traveled to Europe with me back in the day. Before I had Lois, before I met Jay, and before I became the lazy slug I am today, I used to take small groups of my former students overseas during the summers. Can I just tell you how much fun that was? This particular photo was taken at
Nymphenburg Palace- the birthplace of King Ludwig of Bavaria, located outside of Munich, Germany. JK traveled with me to England, France, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. He's a well traveled young man, isn't he?Obviously, the little guy in the photo above is no longer a little guy. He's a junior at Miami University of Ohio. I taught fifth grade for thirteen years, and in all those years, I never had a more intelligent, hard working, goal oriented student than JK. Teaching him forced me to be a better teacher. And it's been my pleasure to remain his friend in the 1o years since he was my student.
I wouldn't be so foolish as to take any kind of credit for the man JK is becoming - but I hope he knows I have always been - and will continue to be - one of his biggest fans.
Happy Birthday!
from the Hogans
3 comments:
And ditto the birthday wishes from the other Steele sister. Scott and I enjoyed our time with you in that summer of 2001, although my most vivid memory of you on that trip was when I off-handedly mentioned some chafing problem I was having with my bra while a group of us were walking around that open air market in Lichtenstien (sp?) and later had to endure a BIG LECTURE from my sister about my language. She'll deny that happened but it is true. Enjoy #21!
Thank you to both the Steele sisters for the birthday wishes and kind words. I have so many memories from Europe and other occasions with the Steele family. I have always felt welcome around your families, and I will never forget that.
Also, know that I still consider my fifth grade year and teacher as two of the most positive influences on my life to date. The opportunities that were provided to me by my teacher in that year and in the years to come along with her friendship have without question had an impact on me and helped shape the person I am today.
I hope all is well and good in Richmond, and that the new year is off to a great start! Say "hi" to everybody for me!
Thank you again,
JK
The many former students have so many wonderful memories of MS and her unique approach to reaching and teaching each and every one.
The little bean is as a precious addition to an already wonderful family! The picures are sooo adorable!
Enjoy your day,JK.
Post a Comment