Saturday, January 24, 2009

A New Job


So Lois visited our sweet Dr. Kraft last week for her 15 month check up. All is well. Lois's white blood cell count is staying where it should be, the fact that she's still toothless is no cause for alarm, and she's still 1 pound 4 1/2 ounces from the elusive 20 pounds that will spring her from her infant car seat. But something happened while we were there that I felt I must report to my faithful blog readers.

As the nurse was preparing to stick Lois's finger, she asked me when Lois's baby brother was going to make his arrival. I told her - fingers crossed - he'd wait until the end of May. When your first kid stages a full on revolt and shows up 7 weeks early, you get a little spooked. Is he really going to stay put for the full 40 weeks? Aunt Marpa already bought him a onesie with his astrological sign on it, and I'm convinced she's jinxed me. He'll probably decide to show up next week just so he WON'T be a Gemini.

Anyway, as poor Lois got her finger poked and the nurse and I discussed little brother, she asked me this fateful question: "Is this one OK?"

Are you speechless? Is your mouth hanging open in shock? Are you feeling totally indignant on behalf of my butter bean?

I felt all of those things too - but only after she had left the room. At the time, I was reduced to looking at her and saying, "OK?" I guess I couldn't believe she had actually said what she said and wanted to clarify that she did indeed mean what I thought she did.

She said, "Well, I mean - did you have the amnio and everything?

So much for giving her the benefit of the doubt.

I told her I had refused an amnio, and if this baby had Down Syndrome as well, then Jay and I would consider ourselves twice blessed - and then immediately go buy a lottery ticket.

And then she left the room to run Lois's blood work and I sat and stared at my butter bean. And the more I looked into her precious, drool encrusted face, the more my blood starting pumping. Wasn't she essentially telling me that Lois WASN'T ok? Could she honestly think this sweet, babbling, happy, smiling, bundle of love isn't ok? But before I added her to my medical professional scale at the number 0 with Dr. Dickhead, I had to consider that she was perhaps unaware of how I - or another "special" Mom - might interpret what she had said. I considered ratting her out to Dr. Kraft who I knew would rip her a new one. But that felt like the cheaters way out. I honestly liked this nurse and I wanted to prove that I could talk to her about this without her thinking I was a bitch.

So when she came back in the room, I did it. I told her I wasn't offended and I thought she was a lovely person, but that what she said could be considered rather hurtful. I told her I thought Lois was all kinds of OK -and that I'd wager other Moms of "special" kids feel the same way. She fell all over herself apologizing and hugged me and thanked me, and then she left. I felt rather ambivalent about the whole event. I was really proud of myself for dealing with the situation head on - and in a friendly manner. But in the back of my mind is the knowledge that Lois will spend her life interacting with people who think her parents were lucky to have at least one child who was "ok."

So it may not pay as well as I'd like, but apparently my new job is to make sure the world knows that Lois is MORE than ok. To educate those who see Lois as a diagnosis rather than as a little girl. To make sure Lois never feels any less valued than her brother. It's a job I plan to take seriously and one that will probably keep me busy for the rest of my days. But it's a job with some really sweet benefits.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound more like the Catherine I know. You did the right thing. We are all ignorant and insensitive at times. Lois is more than ok. You know that. She's a celebrity in C'Burg. The CES Kelly will be glad to hear you in this recent blog. When are you heading NORTH?

Anonymous said...

Oh Lord -- did I read this correctly? Are YOU now special too? :-)

Anonymous said...

GO CATHRINE!
LD

Anonymous said...

You should be very proud of yourself. Education is key here. You go girl.
G

mamaC said...

AWESOME!! I love that you used that moment to educate someone about our kids! It is like my mom always says "different isn't wrong, it is just different". There are too many people that think different means scary, wrong or not "OK" and the only way to make things better for our kids is to change that mindset! WTG and THANKS!!!

The Richmond's said...

Lois is more than OK, she is so special, she is a really lucky girl to have you as her mom. It takes many different types of people, personalities and such to make the world go round, good for you on speaking up!

Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine,

I think you and Lois were with Kimy and Maddy at Friendly's last week when Kimy gave me the card of Maddy. I love your comments to the nurse, she is a "complete idiot". It's as bad as a co-worker telling me one day that I looked smart because I had my eyeglasses on, so what, I look dumb all the other days??? LOL!! I think some people just don't know what to say.

You are truly blessed to have such a lovely little girl. I would love to run into Lois and Maddy again.

God Bless!!

Tamara Braxton

Beth said...

Whooey! I just found your blog after you found mine! You are one fired up Momma! I love it! Fabulous approach to ignorant people. I think I would have been seething and would have had to spill it out all over the doctor. At least, back when I was a new mommy. I'll never forget the nurse who asked me if my daughter had a "little case of Down syndrome". I told her, "Yes, it's just a little chromosome, but it's in every cell in her body."

A decade into it, I just automatically go into "teaching mode". It's tiring being patient sometimes, but most people are genuinely interested in learning more.

Lois is WAY more than OK, especially if she's got you for a mother. From her pictures she looks like she's just delicious. I can't wait to browse through your blog, but it will have to be tomorrow...it's getting late.

Kim said...

You're my hero, Catherine! I sometimes get weird comments about my little guy who has CP, but I don't think I handle it as gracefully as you did (not by a long shot!)