I feel I must inform you that I hate, hate, hate being pregnant. Baby Hogan spends most of his day stomping on my bladder. I get heartburn after I eat or drink anything, in the middle of the night, after a long nap - you get the picture. I'm on my 5th bottle of Tums. My lower back is starting to bother me since little man seems to enjoy hanging out near his buddy, the bladder. My boobs? Let's not even go there. Jay has strict instructions not to even think about them. And perhaps my least favorite pregnancy symptom? I have cried at least once a day since I found out I was pregnant - and that is just not me. I'm not a crier. And when I say I have cried, I mean I have sobbed my guts out - and usually it is over something completely innocuous. I called the Yaya in tears one day and accused her of taking my favorite childhood stuffed animal. Can anyone say....irrational???
But on a positive front, things for the butter bean seem to be looking up. Last weekend Jay finally installed the black out curtains I made for Lois's room - and what do you know? Lois has taken a 2 hour nap every day this week. She's so much more pleasant when she's had a good nap. And so am I. Although she doesn't' look it in this picture, does she?
I won't bore you with the long drawn out details of my frustration with the Early Intervention program here in Chesterfield County, but suffice it to say that neither Jay, nor I, nor our pediatrician has been happy with the services Lois is receiving. It's been a struggle for me - because I want to demand they give my daughter what I think she needs and deserves - but I SO don't want to be THAT parent. (My teaching friends will know what I mean) But I've decided recently that how they perceive me doesn't matter nearly as much as doing the best I can for my baby girl. So Lois has had private speech and physical therapy evaluations in the past week - and as shocking as this may seem - their determination is that she is in dire need of both.
So I spent the week stepping on the toes and hurting the feelings of two people who I really like - which caused lots of tears for poor Jay to listen to. I don't like hurting people's feelings. But in the end, this will be a good thing for the butter bean. Since I have "proof" that she NEEDS the services, they will either provide them to her, or my pediatrician will make sure she gets them privately. And I will have to get used to being THAT parent, I guess.
On a sunnier note, how about my Steelers? Here's Lois waving her terrible towel. Make sure you take note of what happens when Lois has a really bad hair day. Funny, it's the same thing I do to my own hair.
Lois is pulling herself up in her crib and feeling quite proud of herself for it. Of course, I go to bed every night worrying she's going to do a header out of it - so I guess it's time to lower the mattress. She's using her first sign - "more" - which is a real breakthrough. If we could sign instead of scream, my life would be a lot more peaceful. She learned to drink through a straw overnight - which makes me think we're that much closer to her first McDonalds Happy Meal. And she qualified for an EDCD waiver - which will provide supplemental insurance for her, pay our family's insurance premiums, and make the cost of private therapy a non-issue for her stressed-out and hard working father.
I've thought of "home" so much this week. Three of my good buddies had birthdays this week and I'm happy to say all three should have received a card from yours truly. Happy birthday, friends! I know my teacher friends had some snow days this past week and I want you all to know I celebrated with you. I still get the superintendent's emails when there is a delay or cancellation, and I feel that same surge of joy when I see the word "closed". I hope you enjoyed yourselves. You are ALL in my thoughts every day.
4 comments:
OMG!! She got the waiver????!!!! So great, what a relief to you and Jay. Great news, and you are only 23 weeks? I thought you were like 28 weeks. Jeez, this is another long damn pregnancy. You sure you don't want to try for the v-back??? So happy for my friends.
G
I'm gonna ask before the YaYa does -- why is Lois' shirt soaking wet in that last picture and why didn't you change her? :-)
Congrats on getting Lois the extra therapy! Unfortunately, being "THAT parent" is part of the job now. I have learned that the only way to get things done is to never take no for an answer and to get really good at bending the truth to the point of flat out lying. Olivia has her mid-year eval to determine her need for more services. The therapist and I are on the same page with "if she doesnt do it consistently, she doesnt do it." Unfortunately that is the system we are forced to deal with. It sucks, but like you said, it isn't about people liking us, it is about doing what is best for the kids. HUGS!!!!
Everyone in Cburg who I told that I had visited you were so jealous. Even Jeff asked about you and said he knew you were happy about the Steelers. I bragged and bragged on Lois and I do think she is progressing wonderfully. You can tell she wants to explore more and she will very soon. Hope the cold did not get worse. Thankfully the darken drapes worked for nap time. Cburg is home...come when you can.
The Green One (Remember Chris saying one grandma was the white one and one was the black one; I am the green one) :) :)
Post a Comment