Friday, February 27, 2009

Not as exciting as I thought.

This is what I get for bragging. When will I ever learn that my girl has a mind of her own?

About a week ago when Lois's infant educator was here, we watched her get up on both knees and "crawl" to get a toy she wanted. Just two or three knee movements, but it made us both squeal in delight. It was the first sign I'd seen that made me think my little slug may actually be interested in propelling herself across the room.


The next morning, Jay saw her do the same thing. That afternoon, she did it again. When I made my blog post that day, I was already making notes on what I would include in my triumphant announcement of Lois's achievement. One we've worked so hard on. One we thought would never happen. I stupidly teased you with the "exciting news" I had to share.


And here we are, a week later, and Lois hasn't done a lick of crawling since. I was SO sure she was on the verge of figuring it out. I thought she'd be so excited by her discovery, she'd start crawling everywhere. But no. Typical Lois. During our educator's visit this week, Lois spent much of her time flat on her belly with her head turned to the side and a helpless look plastered on her face.

But I must remind myself that Lois has played possum with us before. Acting as if she had no idea how to do a certain skill and then weeks later performing said skill so expertly, it's as if she'd always known. She did this with rolling over. She did it with clapping. She did it with babbling. I'm learning how she works. Slowly, but I'm learning.

So I fully expect that someday in the near future, Lois will wake up and decide it looks like a good day to give up on the slug act and start crawling. And we will squeal with delight, record her every move on video, take the obligatory 150 photos - and then start worrying about how she's never going to learn to walk.

No comments: