Saturday, March 27, 2010

Giving Back


So how many times have I mentioned taking Lois to the "clinic"? The clinic I refer to is the Pediatric Hematology/Oncology clinic at MCV here in Richmond. We go there for blood level checks, transfusions, bone marrow aspirations, spinal taps. It's a one stop shop. Unless, of course, you need inpatient chemotherapy - in which case you are sent to the 7th floor of the Main Hospital. The hospital is a total dump. I say that with love, because after the weeks we've spent there, it isn't quite so stark and unwelcoming. But that's mostly due to the lovely nurses and medical staff. The facility itself? Yick.
The clinic, however, is warm, welcoming, kid friendly and happy, happy, happy. It is full of toys, video games and movies. There are treasure boxes full of prizes for the patients, juice and snacks offered throughout the day, and a chaplain, psychologist, and child life specialist who circulate throughout the clinic offering their services. They pay for our friend Melissa, the music therapist, to visit the clinic each week. They even pay for my parking each time I have to visit. So who is responsible for all of this? ASK is a local non profit who supports the clinic and whose mission is to make life easier for children with cancer and their families. In the few short months we've been walking this road, we can see that they are succeeding at their mission. Please go to askweb.org to read more about ASK and their history.

I hesitated to register for the ASK fun walk and 5K that is happening at the end of April. Lois's treatment schedule isn't going to allow us to attend. And I already hit up my friends and family once a year to raise money for the DSAGR through the Buddy Walk. But Friday when Lois and I were in the clinic (she still has not a single neutrophil if you can believe that) I saw a little boy about 5 years old having his port accessed. Accessing a port involved sticking a VERY large needle through the skin and into the port itself. Auntie Gina described this needle as a thumbtack. It's big. Really big. And it can be scary. This little guy has probably had his port accessed 25 times. But he was scared. And crying. And it just broke my heart. No child should have to do this stuff. Pediatric cancer sucks.

ASK isn't looking for a cure. They aren't raising money to support research. Or fund medical staff positions. Their sole focus is bringing a little happiness into the lives of these children who have life threatening illnesses. And that's a cause I can support. So I created a team for Lois and am hoping to raise a little money with your help. Your support will directly benefit Lois - but more importantly, you'll be bringing a ray of sunshine into the lives of some kids who desperately need it and deserve it. No donation is too small.

If you are local to the Richmond area and would like to participate in the 5K or fun walk, there is a link on this page where you can register. Just be sure to register as a member of Butter Bean's Brigade. We won't be able to be there, but I promise we will be with you in spirit.

Thanks for your support as always, friends.

Go HERE to donate.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Organizations like this, make the journey a little less heavy and allow us to glimpse the kindness and care amidst the craziness that has become our life.

Port accessing .... barbaric if you ask me.3-4 week hospital stays with weekly accessing,6 rounds of chemo and clinic visits in between were way too many psrt accessing for my or mostly Zoey's liking. Most of Zoey's post traumatic behavior,stemmed from that act.Almost 17 months after that first "poke',she still freaks out a bit, when laid back for anything ... especially at the doctor's.I realized the extent one day,when we went to get her haircut and she sat on my lap,shaking uncontrollably and holding me for dear life ... then I looked to my right,saw our hair girls silver tray with scissors on it and realized,my gosh... that tray looks like a medical tray AND..she thinks it is one!Hated that.

Sending you prayers and neutrophil fairy dust...

Stephanie said...

Lois and the "Fat Man"....