Her hemoglobin is holding it's own. Her platelets are a measly 35,000 but still not low enough to transfuse. Her total white cell count is 200.
This is not the news I expected to hear today. It's shocking. I figured if your ANC was zero, you'd be in the hospital - not stuffing your face with McDonalds french fries and joyfully watching the Wiggles on Sprout. But my girl is home, happy, and fighting the good fight. If she can make it through the weekend, it will be a miracle.
Just thought you might like an update.
And after I caught up on this week's episode of Sheer Genius (that Brig is such a wack-a-doodle) and headed upstairs to bed, I made two very important decisions that will directly affect you - my faithful blog readers.
#1. I shall henceforth no longer use the name "Dr. Hem and Haw." I have to admit it. I like her. And I'm going to tell you why, so sit down and get comfortable.
What drove me to give her this nickname was her seeming lack of ability to give it to me straight. I just want the facts. The statistics. The odds. And I want everything you've got. Don't hold any information back. She was incapable of this on our first meeting. We've spent lots of time together since, and she still exhibits a propensity to hold back, or dance around the really bad stuff. And I realize now - she just doesn't want to deliver bad news. But she's a pediatric oncologist! Imagine how much bad news she has had to deliver. She's probably told hundreds of parents that their kid has cancer. You'd think, after all her years in practice, that this would become old hat. You'd think at some point sh'd become numb to the emotion of that moment. You'd think at some point she'd get "good" at it. Not Dr. M. I think it pains her to look a parent in the eye and tell them the worst news they may ever hear. She hems and haws because she doesn't want to break hearts. And I love her for that.
It still drives me nuts, but we're working through it.
#2. This blog needs a name change. Although many of you are here because you also have a child with a bonus chromosome, I have two children. Right now, it's all about Lois. *sigh. But it isn't always going to be! I've decided that a blog about our special family should have a name that is inclusive of all of us (or at least the two cute ones). Jay and I have also decided that we need to move the blog to a more permanent home which will coincide well with a name change. So let's hear what you've got. I'm open to all of your suggestions. If I choose your suggestion as our new blog name, you'll be the winner of a slightly unstable 5 year old epileptic beagle mix!
I kid. I kid.
But put on your thinking caps and help me out, won't you?
I've made plans for tomorrow. Aunt Marpa and Maggie and I are going to hit my consignment sale tomorrow morning (oh how I LOVE that sale) and then Mac and I are going to go see Wilma, aka Mother Inferior, at her grandson's Lacrosse game. You do realize what this means, right? Lois will develop a fever about 30 minutes before I'm supposed to walk out the door.
NO! No she won't! She's going to kick a$$ and take names! She's not getting no stinky fever!
Knock wood. Please.
6 comments:
How sad is it that some of Lois' numbers on chemo are practically the norm for Ella without chemo. Her ANC only occasionally goes above 1,000 and at last weeks appointment her platelets were only 58,000. But yet (and here I say knock on wood) she has only gotten a couple colds in her life and that's it. Their little systems continue to amaze me!!!
It's so good to see a post. I can't believe you're home and chowin' on fries, sounds delightful. i'm glad you figured out your Dr. M. That sounds a lot more understanding.
And how about Mac n Beans for a new name, lol. I kid, I kid! Don't send me that dog.
Hugs and prayers!
Zero.Zip.Nada.Nothing.Only way to go ... is up.It's the waiting and the getting there,thats the hard part.Mainly the waiting.But I venture to guess that you all will find your way there with your little warrior leading the way.Don't be surprised if it take awhile.This round is a doozy.Stay put.Consider that closet and hang tight.Neutrophils will show themselves.Promise.
As for a name suggestion ... wish I had a catchy idea.Something tells me though,you'll be coming up with a good one yourself.
Something tells me also, that I never got a blanket out to Lois from Zoey's Blanket Project.If you get a moment,could you drop me your address,via facebook if it's easiest and I will mail one right out.
Prayer and blessing abound in California.
In the spirit of March Madness...Gimme and A (A), Gimme and N (N), Gimme a C (C)...what's that spell...ANC!!!
Go Lois Go!
Blog Name proposal: "Mac and the Bean's Talk"
Keep the faith! We are all thinking about you!
PS- Catherine, are you choosing the word verification for posts?? Today it is "scanc"...seems in line with your sense of humor to do something like that.
I've knocked and knocked on wood. Did it work? I wish your posts had dates then I would know how many days ago you posted...
And I can't believe someone came up with the same blog name I did!!
Post a Comment