Sunday, April 19, 2009

Q & A Revisited

Here are just a few of the fun questions I've been asked since Lois's birth - and the equally fun answers I wish I'd given.


Q: How bad does she have it?

A: She has the worst case of Down Syndrome that anyone has ever seen.


Q: How did she get it? Is it genetic?

A: Yep. She got it from me. I've got it too.


Q: Can she move her arms and legs like a normal baby?

A: No. She can only move them in circular motions.


Q: Will she ever be able to interact with her environment?

A: We hope that someday she'll at least learn how to talk to the dogs.


Q: Is your next baby OK?

A: Nope. He's infected too.


Q: Did you and Jay have to do much to equip your home for Lois?

A: We just had to have padding installed on all of the walls.


Q: Do people still use the term " mongoloid" or has that gone out of style?

A: The 1960's called. They want their terminology back.


I feel like I should point out that all of these questions were asked by very well intentioned friends and acquaintances and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they would be mortified to think they had offended us. Don't worry. We're never offended by questions like these. I gave honest, intelligent answers to all of these questions when asked - and then came home and laughed my butt off about it. I guess we're doing our part to educate people about DS - that's for sure!

2 comments:

Beth said...

You. Are. Hysterically. Funny. (and slightly cruel). I love it.

Gretchen a/k/a StampingRooster said...

You're doing a fabulous job of enlightening me. And Lois lightens my day.