Monday, April 6, 2009

The solution to a problem...

Lois has always been fond of bathtime - it's Lois and Daddy bonding time. For some reason, Jay has always been Lois's bath attendant. I've given Lois many a bath, but for the most part, it's a Daddy job. Which frankly, is fine with me. ( Is that bad? Am I missing out on some incredible bonding experience with my kid?) I hear them upstairs laughing and splashing - and occasionally I'll catch a few verses of "Splish, Splash I Was Takin a Bath" from Jay.

But at her last check up, Dr. Kraft noticed some funk on Lois's scalp and suggested we use Head and Shoulders shampoo on her hair a few times a week. I dutifully purchased said shampoo and gave the bath attendant the directions Dr. Kraft had given me. Jay completed the bath ritual that evening, substituting the Head and Shoulders for the Johnson's baby shampoo - and the ruckus that ensued was probably heard in the neighboring county. It seems Head and Shoulders burns if it makes contact with baby eyes. It burns a lot.

Since then, bath time has been anything but pleasant. We quickly ditched the medicated shampoo and decided to live with the crud on her scalp. But she's scarred for life - and rinsing her hair has become quite the unpleasant chore. Suddenly, my help is needed for bath time. That's right - I get the oh so pleasant job of holding her on her back while Jay pours the water over her hair. In order to try to make my presence at bathtime unecessary, I bought a special pitcher thing at Target that was designed just for this purpose. And the next night I heard Jay cursing and saw the pitcher come flying out of the bathroom door. Epic fail.

Bathtime was no longer fun for either one of them.

But Yaya saved the day with this:


A foam visor from One Step Ahead - which straps onto Lois's little head and prevents the water from getting anywhere near her face. As you can see - she kind of likes it.


And so does Jay.

Lois and Daddy bonding time has been saved.

4 comments:

Dustin and Kelly said...

What a great idea!! I need to get one for McKayla. We don't have to use any special, eye-burning shampoo on her, but she can't stand to have the water run over her face. I know the bucket you are talking about, we got one as well. I didn't work as well as it touted. I'm glad bathtime has been saved!!

Gretchen a/k/a StampingRooster said...

I so glad there was a happy ending!

mamaC said...

One Step Ahead is the BEST!! They steal my million dollar ideas all the time though! LOL

Anonymous said...

You Doc should have suggested baby oil on said area over night and then just comb out the oily crusty crud out the next morning. It may take more than one application. Or just let me at her again and I will get said crud off her precious little head.
G