Cake Number One - a giant cupcake cake lovingly made by her mother. I made the bean a giant cupcake last year and thought it would be fun to make it a Lois birthday tradition. So early Saturday morning before the Buddy Walk I got my ingredients together and got the cake in the oven. It waited on a cooling rack while we were gone so that I could come home, ice it, and head over to Aunt Marpa's for the birthday festivities. But while we were gone, our beastly dog, whose medication tricks his brain into thinking he's ravenous 24 hours a day, decided to have a snack.

Now, those of you who don't own dogs or don't like dogs will probably be totally grossed out by the fact that I iced over the bite marks and proudly served the cake to our friends and family. But we're the kind of family that isn't really bothered by cakes besmerched with dog saliva. Several years ago on Christmas morning my sister dropped an entire breakfast casserole in the floor shattering the earthenware dish and spraying cheese sauce across the pantry door. This casserole had taken hours of preparation and I could tell by the look on her face that she was about to go straight up and turn left (as my dear friend Wilma would say). I calmly pushed the majority of the pottery shards aside, scooped up the remnants of the casserole, plopped it into a new dish, and added it to the buffet table. Everyone was well aware of what had happened, and most people steered clear of that particular dish. But most of us happily ate it. It was good - after you picked out the shards of earthenware.
Is that one of those family stories that didn't need to be published on the Internet?

The giant cupcake was delicious - with or without doggie spit - and Lois demurely ate her fair share.

If I was a whizz at photoshop, I'd make my sister's enormous hand disappear from the corner of this picture. But I'm not. So please try to overlook it. Thank you.
Auntie Gina made some red velvet cupcakes you can see peeking out from behind the big guy. She wasn't happy with them, but they quickly disappeared. She's having vanilla issues. It's a situation.

Of course, you'll remember that Lois and Maggie were born on the same day - 5 years apart. so Maggie had her own cake. A Jonas Brothers cake. And Olivia, Auntie Gina's sweetie pie of a kid was born 4 days later, so she and Maggie shared the JoBro cake.
Doesn't cousin Andy look thrilled to be the filling in this girlie sandwich?Cake Number Two - I made my butter bean some cupcakes to take to preschool so she could celebrate with her friends and teachers. Lois is doing really well at preschool these days (more on that to follow) so I thought it best if I didn't make a sudden appearance at the door of her classroom. I missed seeing what she did with her strawberry cupcake with cream cheese icing, so I saved one for her to have at dinner that night.
This poor cupcake had no idea what was in store for it.
Lois has recently learned to feed herself with a spoon. She's pretty successful, but it's a messy affair.
Cupcakes weren't made to be eaten with a spoon.
She loved every second of it.
And I swear Mac watched every bite go into her mouth. I think if it were up to him he'd be off formula and onto steak dinners and cheesecake.
Cake Number Three - Miss Judy brought a toy cake for Lois to work with during their session last week. Lois assembled the pieces and put the candles on top.
And then proudly showed me that she was "2".
And then Miss Judy brought out a REAL cake for Lois to enjoy.
So. What did Lois think of all this cake and all this celebrating?
Happy Birthday Baby Girl!
3 comments:
She just couldn't be cuter, could she! Happy birthday, sweet girl!
Um, I ATE DOG SPIT!? And I was actually concerned about whether I needed to tell you that I accidentally left the BBQ sauce out for a few hours before I remembered to refrigerate it. Obviously, I had no reason to feel guilty about that since THERE WAS NO SPIT IN THE SAUCE! Ew.
I think the world should reconsider the gourmet value of dog spit. It was a yummy cake :)
Post a Comment