Monday, March 31, 2008

Cousin Maggie


Did you know that Lois and her Cousin Maggie were born on the same day? How cool is that? Maggie, who is five, seems to believe she had something to do with this little bit of cosmic coincidence - which is pretty cute. Maggie adores her cousin Lois. When she met her for the first time at Christmas, she just kept repeating incessantly, "She's SO cute!!!" As her mother, I loved hearing that - the first 450 times. After that, it was kind of overkill.

Maggie's favorite thing to do is pick out what Lois is going to wear. She often complains that I buy Lois "boy" clothes. And I admit it - I do. I would much rather see Lois in a pair of denim overalls than a pink ruffled dress any day. Maybe it's because I not so secretly hoped Lois would be a boy. Or maybe it's because of my own personal distaste for pink, ruffly, froo-froo clothes. I mean, have you ever seen ME in anything with ruffles? Lace? Anything pink? I rest my case.

So I happened to let slip to Maggie that Lois has never, in her almost 6 months on the planet, never worn a dress. You can't believe the shock and awe on Maggie's face. Now keep in mind that Miss Margaret won't wear anything BUT a dress. This is the lovely get-up she put together for dinner one evening. Check the plaid shoes. So the idea of poor Lois not having dresses to wear was simply incomprehensible to our young fashionista.

Later that evening, Maggie was telling us at dinner that she was beautiful - but no one else was. Only her. Aunt Marpa suggests, "Well, what about your cousin Lois? Isn't SHE beautiful?" Maggie's response?

"Momma?! She doesn't even wear dresses?!"

And just so you know - Lois has a closet full of dresses which will be making their debut sometime this spring. Maybe.

2 comments:

Jay Hogan said...

It's the plaid shoes that make the outfit awesome, in my opinion. I'm sure her Mom and her YaYa agree wholeheartedly.

Teressa said...

What a great story!!! I love reading the Adventures of Lois... What a great outfit that Maggie picked out.