Thursday, March 20, 2008

Hasta La Vista, G-tube!




Big, big day for the baby girl yesterday. She finally got rid of this nasty little contraption. What a relief! It's been sitting there for weeks now - unused. Yesterday, her GI doctor deflated the balloon that's been holding it in her stomach and yanked it right out of there. I had seen this event in my dreams for months now, and I have to tell you - it was NOTHING like I had imagined it. I'm pretty sure that some of you - like my Dad - will be so grossed out by the gory details of this event that you've already stopped reading. So I won't go into detail here. But you know me - I would just LOVE to sit down with you and tell you exactly how disgusting and stomach turning the whole thing was. I want it to be seared in your brains like it is in mine. Oy vei.



Just let me tell you how freeing this is. No more split gauze. No more catheter tip syringes. No more cotton tip applicators. No more latex gloves. No more bath sling. No more peroxide and water solution. No more bacitracin ointment. Just a sweet, squishy little baby belly. Well, and a little gauze and ointment for the next 7 days. And a healthy dose of therapy for me to remove the memory of what I saw yesterday from the recesses of my brain.

3 comments:

Erin said...

So excited for the little butter bean! :) What a big step!!

Teressa said...

Look at how cute she is.... and her button being gone!!! That is so great!!!! Give her big kisses.and tell her to give you big hugs from me!!!!

Bev said...

congrats!! That is such a huge step!