Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Lois is 5 months old!







Holy age spots, Batman! Lois is five months old. Of course, really she's only 3 months and 1 week old. That's her "adjusted age." Depending on which doctor we are seeing on a particular day - this is important information. Since Lois was 7 weeks premature, her growth pattern and development have to be considered as if she had been born on December 4 - her actual due date. (Staying in the womb for 40 whole weeks? What a novel concept THAT is!) Problem is - I can't keep straight which doctors use her actual age and which use her adjusted age. I wish they could just all have a meeting of the minds and decide on one?! Sheesh! And then there's the growth chart debate. There is a separate growth chart for children with Down Syndrome. So guess what? Some of her doctors are using a "typical" growth chart and some are using the DS growth chart. Can't we all just get along?

Bottom line? Lois was born 5 months ago weighing a smidgeon under 4 pounds. She now weighs 12 pounds. You got anything that needs a little fattening up, you send it on over to Robert Street and I'll take care of it for you. We've got a toothless cat who has managed to become obese in the past 2 years. I'm telling you - we've got something special going on here. Poor skinny Jay didn't have a chance when he married into this family.

So as I was saying, Lois weighs 12 pounds now which puts her in the 75th percentile, the 50th percentile, the 20th percentile, or below the 5th percentile - depending on which age you use and which growth chart you look at. Now how confusing is that? I don't know whether to celebrate or force feed her twinkies?!

Happy Birthday, sweet butter bean. We love you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can't believe it's been 5 months already!! Lois is just adorable - i LOVE her smiles - very contagious :)

Angela said...

I can't believe she is already 5 months. She is just soooooo adorable.

Pamelamma said...

I'm shocked too that Lois is 5 months old already!!! She's adorable, Catherine. So smiley! How wonderful that you're blogging. What a great project.

Erin said...

Happy 5 months, beautiful girl!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures!!