Monday, May 25, 2009

Antisocial Behavior

I have to thank you for all of the reassurance that I'm not a total nutbar regarding my recent trip off the deep end in response to Lois's first fever. It was a really rough week for all of us. Oh yes! This lovely little germ lasted an entire week in poor Lois's system and required a return trip to the pediatrician's office and an antibiotic to clear up a "superinfection" that developed in her tiny nasal passages. She wouldn't eat, was whiny, had the runs, couldn't sleep through the night, and was generally unpleasant to be around. Now imagine a woman like me - downright miserable, cranky, emotional, and bordering on psychotic - caring for said child. Can you imagine what poor Jay's life was like for that week? The man deserves a medal - that's all I can say.


But the antibiotics have worked their magic and my girl is back to her usual happy, smiling self. She was so miserable for so long, I'd forgotten just how pleasant and easy to please she usually is. So, since Lois was no longer a walking bacteria farm, we took her to our playgroup's spring family gathering last weekend. This is when all of the families in our little DS group get together and place bets on how many glasses of soda Lois will manage to knock over before the evening ends. Ok. So that's not really why we get together, but it always seems to happen. It's embarrassing.

All of Lois's buddies and their siblings were treated to a puppet show to start the evening. Momma really should have changed camera lenses, but was too lazy to do so. Go figure. But I was able to capture Lois watching the festivities from the safety of her Dadddy's shoulders - or is this a picture of Jay's shrunken head? You decide.


Here's our friend Maddy enjoying the show.


And here's Landon - star of "The Carpenter Chronicles." This little guy has feet the size of Lois's head. I love him!

Did you notice I went a little radical with haircut number 8? Or is it number 9? I've lost track. All I know is, Lois's friend baby E just had her first haircut and she's only 2 months younger than Lois. Meanwhile, Lois continues to sprout a thick head of baby fine hair that grows straight forward from the top of her head toward her nose. It's like kudzu, people. Seriously. So I took her to our new favorite salon and asked for a pixie. Lois screamed like a banshee for the duration of the cut - in fact, the YaYa felt so sorry for her, she left the salon - but her locks are FINALLY under control. For now.

Is it just me or is she really starting to look like her Daddy?

All of the kids were sitting and lying in the floor, playing with toys and each other, so naturally I want Lois to get in on the action. But as I've mentioned before, Lois has some issues regarding her personal space and who - or what - she is interested in allowing into that space. Here is George - one of our favorite members of the T21 club. I could put this kid between two pieces of french bread and eat him up (as Auntie Gina would say).


Lois and George had a great time at the last DSAGR meeting chasing an empty water bottle around the floor, so I figure Lois would enjoy saying hi to George. I plopped her down right next to him. She gave him the once over (with her extra chromosome hanging out of her mouth, I might add).....

Decided she didn't' like what she saw....

And got herself out of there lickety split. Poor George looks wounded.


Not one to be deterred, I decided to try again. I picked her up and plopped her back down with her buddy. But this time, George make the unfortunate mistake of touching Lois with his toy.


I barely had time to get my camera to my face before she was out of there.


I'm not sure I've ever seen her move quite so fast.

I could almost hear Landon saying, "Sheesh, George. What's HER problem?"

So apparently my kid is anti-social. And of course, I feel completely responsible for making her this way. I didn't create enough opportunities for her to be around other children. I kept her warm and safe and happy in our house with the doors locked and the curtains drawn. I've made her afraid of people. She's going to live alone in a cabin in the woods someday and eat berries and mushrooms to survive. The inner workings of my mind are downright scary, aren't they?

Jay keeps telling me that the Mom's Morning Out program she's attending this fall is going to cure her of this problem - but the process isn't going to be pretty. And Momma won't be standing there to comfort her. I feel like I'm tossing her into a tank of sharks and she has no idea how to swim. Much less float. And she looks like a nice savory piece of fresh meat.

Daddy and Me swim class starts next Saturday. Let's hope she catches on quickly.

No comments: