Yesterday, the YaYa and Lois and I ventured out to Babies R Us to pick up a few last minute odds and ends. As we were checking out, I noticed a very petite older lady was giving us the side eye. She tapped me on the shoulder and said:
"I don't mean to pry, but does your baby have a little bit of Down Syndrome?"
I found it highly amusing that both the YaYa and I had the exact same response. I replied:
"Actually, she's got a whole lot of it!"
Smart aleck answer, I know - but it made me laugh. I gave her a sweet smile and proudly said:
"Yes. She has Down Syndrome. Why do you ask?"
I figured this lady knew another member of the T21 club that she wanted to tell me about. I couldn't believe what came out of her mouth next.
"I just saw the most amazing woman on TV. Her child has Downs and she's figured out this combination of vitamins to give her that have really improved her abilities and even her appearance! It's amazing! They have before and after pictures of her baby's appearance and the changes are just remarkable!"
I think at this point I was struggling to keep the smile on my face - and had NO idea what to say to her. Luckily, she was happy to fill in the lull with some suggestions on how I might get in touch with this woman so I could improve Lois's abilities and her appearance.
"I'm sure if you googled her you could find out the information. She'll tell you what vitamins she uses for free! She's not trying to make money off of this. Really, you just have to see those before and after pictures."
Yaya was finished checking out and turning the cart toward the door. She, very kindly, looked at the woman and said:
"I don't think I'd want to change her appearance. I think she's pretty cute."
Preach it, Yaya!
I thanked the woman for the information and we walked out the door. I wasn't mad or hurt. But I was shocked that the woman felt it was appropriate to suggest there was something wrong with my daughter's appearance. Ouch!
My usually sweet, mild mannered, gives everyone the benefit of the doubt husband didn't like this story one bit - and I knew he wouldn't. He thought it was a joke. It sounds like one, doesn't it? We decided that this lady probably went home and felt like she'd done a really good deed. Is that OK? I mean, you could tell she was extremely well intentioned. Should I have politely told her that the assumption that I would want to change Lois's appearance was rude?
What I do know is that we both left Babies R Us feeling very good about ourselves. She because she had done what she perceived to be a good deed for a stranger. And me because regardless of what that sweet little lady and the rest of the world might think, I know where real beauty lies. I get to see it every day - and it doesn't require a cocktail of vitamins.
8 comments:
Oh that burns me up! My mouth would have had to fly open with tons spilling out. Those side way glances really get to me too.
There is no way I would ever want my Carly's looks changed. She cute as can be and if narrow minded people think otherwise...they need to just hush their mouths!
By the way..you have quite the litte cutie pie!
I've never stopped by your blog before but saw the caption on Sarah's sidebar and you caught my attention. First of all your little girl is beautiful I'm going to have to read more of you blog to find out what adventures she is up to but I'm guessing I'll find some good stories. Second oh my goodness - why would anyone want to change our children's appearance. Then again I'm not even that big on plastic surgery for vain women, though I as I aquire more gray hairs I am a big fan of hair dye. I've had a mom of a tbal kiddo on my older sons team tell me about the vitamens. I laughed at her when she started in on the story but then I realized she was dead serious. Her point was just cognitive and health benefits but I can't imagine what I would have said if she had suggested the Riley was less than adorable.
This is Joyce. I can't even imagine going up to someone and saying that. I do wonder what show she saw that on. I would like to write a comment on their website about checking the validity of presenting stories such as that.
You handled it very well. I can't say that I would have been so nice. I'm sure she had good intentions, but it just amazes me what people think is appropriate to say. Go Yaya! I love the last paragraph... gave me misty eyes.
You let her get away... I wished you would have asked what I need to take to lift my boobs and flatten my stomach. Now THAT'S an appearance that needs to be changed.
If I didn't read it I wouldn't have ever believed it.
G
I wish I was there to ask her if she forgot to take her "mind-your-own-business-vitamins". Go Ya-Ya! Lois is beautiful!
Angie
THINKING OF YOU TODAY and hoping everything went well! Can't wait to hear how everything went and to see pics! Not that you won't have a million things to do instead! ;)
Wow, I can't imagine saying that to anyone...she's got big kahunas! Lois has a pretty big fan club, we all think she is beautiful! Seriously, she is so stinkin cute, she looks so loveable! You handled the situation alot better than I would have.
Post a Comment