This photo marks the only time Lois has ever worn a ribbon in her hair. The majority of the nurses who worked with Lois in the NICU in Roanoke were mothers to a slew of boys. In the evenings, when Jay and I would go home to eat and sleep, they would take the liberty of dressing her in her girliest preemie clothes. Anything pink seemed to do the trick. They knew I wasn't the girliest girl on the planet and expressed their frustration many times that I wasn't working hard enough to make sure Lois evolved into a little princess. On a particularly memorable morning, I turned the corner to Lois's isolette and noticed that all eyes were on me. Nurse Louise had constructed a tiny pink ribbon and attempted to apply it to Lois's already unmanageable hair. They thought it was hysterical.
The funniest thing about this picture to me? The fact that even in preemie clothes, Lois needed to have her sleeves rolled up.
That and her missing right hand.
No comments:
Post a Comment