Monday, August 10, 2009

Flashback Friday


Here's Lois's teeny tiny little 3 month old foot. Notice the space between her big toe and the rest of her toes? Most people know that one of the physical traits of Down Syndrome is the single crease that goes straight across the palm (called the simian crease - and Lois's doesn't have it) - but the whole "sandal toe" issue is a surprise to people. Yes, children with Down Syndrome usually have a large gap between their big toe and the rest of the toe family. Lois's gap is pretty small compared to others I've seen. But she does have the trademark crease on the bottom of her foot that runs straight down from between the aforementioned gap. Do you see it? Are you taking your shoe off right now to see if you have one? I can almost guarantee you that you don't - unless you are lucky enough to have an extra chromosome, that is.

I'd also like to point out that Lois's feet today aren't much bigger than they were when this picture was taken. My friend Kelly bought her a pair of pink crocs when she was born - sized 3-6 months. I've been so anxious to see my little butter bean sporting those crocs, but would you believe they still don't fit? Maybe that's why she has a such a fear of standing unassisted. She doesn't have enough feet to balance out the melon head!

2 comments:

Reggie said...

I have "sandal toe" a big one matter of fact. Does that give me enough to be a Buddy Captain? And yes, I did check the bottom of my feet, no crease just dirty.

Mary said...

OK now I'm going to have to go home and check Riley feet. He does have the sandle toe but I'd never heard about the crease down the foot. HMM I love how super cute those little feet are. Riley is 2 1/2 and still sportin a size 4 with out the sure steps.