
The first day of school has come and gone and both Lois and I survived unscathed. Kate was there as planned, so I dropped Lois off feeling really good about her day. In the post preschool report, Kate said she cried twice - once when they tried to wash her hands at the sink (Lois isn't a big fan of running water) - and once when they changed her diaper ( I TOLD you she'd cry!). So apparently the girl doesn't like being clean. I would like to report for the record - that I DO wash my child's hands, but I just use a baby wipe to clean her up after meals. I suppose from now on we're going to be hanging out at the sink a lot trying to desensitize her. I can help her with the hand washing, but what the heck am I supposed to do about the diaper changing? She HATES those diaper changing stations in public bathrooms, and the contraption Miss Rosie is using is a glorified version of your standard public bathroom koala care. I'd love to tell them not to bother changing her at all - Lois is a camel. The girl can hold her water just like her Momma. But as soon as I tell them not to do it, Lois will fill her pants with green sludge. This may be one of those things Lois is just going to have to learn to deal with.
Our girl has really blossomed in the past month. When we left the beach at the end of July, Lois knew only one sign - "more." She now is has a vocabulary of at least 15 signs that she uses regularly. It was obvious at first that she was simply mimicking our hand motions. But she now uses signs spontaneously - meaning we don't have to prompt her. She sees the cat walk into the room and she signs "cat." She is reading with Daddy and decides she'd rather watch Elmo and signs "finshed." Signs keep popping up out of the blue, too. She has a playskool plastic tricycle - we call it her chopper - that she loves to ride around the house with Daddy. The seat is just a little too high for her to push it herself - so she gets herself on the seat and then yells for Daddy to come wheel her around. As you know, Daddy isn't here most days - and inevitably when Lois decides she wants to go for a chopper ride, I'm feeding Mac. Poor thing sometimes just sits on it and watches The Wiggles hoping someone will come along and take her for a ride. Last week she found her chopper in the kitchen, got on, and started yelling for a push. Big surprise, I was feeding Mac. I explained repeatedly that I couldn't come give her a push because I was with brother. I looked over at her and she signed "GO!"
Poor Mac had to wait for the rest of his lunch.
When I sing Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes to Lois she is able to touch my eyes, ears, mouth and nose. When we sing Itsy Bitsy Spider she attempts to make the motions. Something is definitely going on in my girl's brain. And I find it totally odd that it has all come streaming out in such a short period of time.

Just to be clear - I am NOT complaining. I just find it curious. But if you are a faithful blog reader, you'll know that I gave up trying to figure out the Butter Bean long ago. She's a mystery. But a darn cute one.

We'll head to preschool on Thursday without Miss Kate and I am not worried one iota. It seems my little girl has found her wings this summer and I think she's ready to fly. Go get em, Lois!
4 comments:
Yipee for Lois. :)
WONDERFUL NEWS!!! Not, surprising, but wonderful. Pretty soon Lois will be in charge of the class....
Yay for Lois! I love the last picture. She looks so pleased with herself.
I just found your blog...Lois is so so cute and adorable. I look forward to following your blog. You have beautiful children
Post a Comment