Am I being melodramatic?
Really?
Because I feel like I'm trying to tone it down. I am so emotional over this transition that I have a tendency to burst into tears by just looking at Lois. It just feels like the most momentous thing that has ever happened in Lois's little life. Maybe not. Maybe it just feels that way because she's doing this without me. And maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time with it.
A lot of things have been happening behind the scenes in order to prepare for Tuesday. Several weeks ago I spent over an hour on the phone with Lois's new teacher (Miss Rosie) telling her all about my quirky little girl. Before you ask, this was Miss Rosie's idea - NOT mine. Miss Rosie came and visited us at home and met Lois and Miss Judy and even Miss Kate. Who is Miss Kate, you ask? Well......
Remember that Lois qualified for an EDCD Waiver? One of the parts of this waiver program is respite care - meaning the waiver pays for someone to watch Lois for Jay and I from time to time. The thinking behind this is (a) it's difficult being the parents of a child with special needs and you need to get away and (b) you can't leave your kid with just any babysitter off the street because your kid has...you guessed it....special needs. If I were ungrateful to receive this particular benefit, I might argue that being Lois's parents isn't anymore difficult than being Mac's parents and that I would trust Lois with the same group of people that I would trust to watch Mac. But I'm not - and therefore, I won't.
Ok. I did. But pretend I didn't.
So when I needed to find a respite care worker, my friend, fellow blogger, and fellow parent to a chromosomally enhanced child - Beth - suggested her daughter might be willing and able. That would be her oldest daughter, Kate. Kate is a college graduate and is headed to the Peace Corps in October and just celebrated her 21st birthday. I've mentioned Miss Kate several times here on the blog (you might remember Kate being involved in the screaming when Lois signed "open") without much explanation of who she is. Now you know.
So Miss Rosie and Kate and Miss Judy and I all met one morning to talk about Lois and her transition to school. You'll remember from my previous posts that I have been worried about this transition for some time. Lois doesn't really like her peers. (Are you picturing her scooting away from George?) I have been so worried that she would be overwhelmed with the whole situation and just sit and scream for her Momma. So worried that I was going to prepay her tuition for the entire year and decided not to. So worried that I lie awake at night. So worried that when I imagine Tuesday morning, I want to eat 4 dozen chocolate chip cookies at one sitting.
But enter Kate - my hero - who has agreed to rearrange her Starbucks schedule in order to attend preschool with Lois.
Now don't get all "that's a terrible idea, Catherine" on me. I couldn't agree more. It would be a terrible idea to have Kate sitting beside Lois facilitating her every move.. But that isn't what I want Kate to do. I want her to observe from across the way. And if Lois melts down, I want Kate to intervene.
Still don't think it's a good idea?
I don't care. She's my kid. So there.
So Thursday night Jay and I went to the church for the parent information session. I sat in my church pew and cried. Am I alone here, people? This is a big deal, right? After a talk about policies and procedures, we went to Miss Rosie's classroom for more information about what Lois will be doing day to day. Jay and I were the last parents to leave. Not just the last parents to leave Miss Rosie's room, but the last parents to leave the event. But I HAD to let Miss Rosie know that Lois might freak out when she tries to change her diaper on a surface that Lois deems slightly unstable. This is vital information to Lois's success on Tuesday!
You're probably thinking what Jay was thinking.
Friday morning we returned to the school with Lois for an official meet and greet - kids, teachers, and parents. I dreaded it. I knew she would cry and scream to be with Momma. I knew if another child even LOOKED at her she would dissolve.
But guess what?
There was no crying. No screaming.
She played with Miss Myrna, the assistant teacher.
She put clothespins in a milk jug, impressing Miss Rosie with her fine motor abilities.
She crawled to the top of the cushions in the corner and surveyed her kingdom.
Even as more kids arrived.
And more kids arrived.
And some adults arrived.
She even sat at the table with her new friend Stella.
My heart was so full of joy and pride, I thought it would explode. I just couldn't help thinking that of all the children walking around that room, mine was the most perfect.
And then a woman approached me with a dour look on her face. (Or perhaps that just how I'm choosing to remember her.) She said...
"Is that your child?"
With a grin a mile wide, I said, "YES!"
With no grin whatsoever she said, "What days is she going to be here?"
"Tuesdays and Thursdays."
She said nothing and walked out of the room.
My friends, I don't look for the stares. I know they are there, but I choose not to see them. And when I do see someone staring, I always assume it's because Lois is so darn cute. I didn't want to believe that what that woman had just said to me meant what I thought it did.
As we were leaving, I asked Jay if he heard it. He had. Jay is the most nonjudgmental person I know. He ALWAYS gives people the benefit of the doubt. But he interpreted what she said the same way I had.
That woman doesn't want her child in a class with Lois.
*gulp
I don't even know what to say about it.
I feel sorry for that woman. Don't you?
7 comments:
I love this account of your expectaions and Lois's acceptance of her peers. Kids love kids!
As a first teacher for a lot of children when mine were small,I can tell you that your feelings were perfectly normal!!
Now, the judgmental parent is another thing...what a narrow, nasty person. She'll miss gettiing to know a perfect mom and the most delightful little angel I know if she misses the Tues./Thursday group.
Don't you second guess Kate being in that classroom for one second. In NC they have a people titled "Inclusion Specialists". Their job is exactly what Kate's is--being an extra set of hands to help with the transition to school. Hannah had one. And guess what? Hannah could care less about other little kids back then. And now she only likes them if they are relatively quiet (no crying allowed!). You know that toddlers don't play together--they do parallel play.
Now, as for that woman--maybe she just didn't like YOU--maybe she doesn't want to see you in the morning! (Not that I could understand that either.)
You might want to use a variation of my preschool letter to break the ice with the parents of Lois' classmates. It did wonders for both Hannah and me. I know the babes aren't going to be making judgement calls on Lois' chromosomes, but it won't hurt to have a formal intro to the parents to give them a way to begin to open the doors of communication.
Yes, you are allowed to cry. As much as you want. It's her first day of school!!!
Wow. Let me start by saying you are allowed to be emotional and over protective of Lois no matter what, no matter what age and no matter what else she has going on. You are her mother, that is your job. As far as her going to preschool it will be so great for the both of you! I'm sure at the end of the year you are going to be amazed at what she has learned and be miffed with the bad habits of other children's that she has brought home (LOL, I know Maddie has a few learned habits from the sitter's that I would like to return for a refund). As for that woman, well, there is nothing nice I can say, there is no excuse for a grown adult to act like that towards a child and if you need me to come and give her an attitude adjustment for you just let me know! :)
Lois is so stinkin cute!!! I'm sure she'll have a great time at school and you will too eventually. Being protective and having anxiety about our kids is what moms do.
Lois looks so comfortable in her new "kingdom". I love the picture with the jug and clothes. I pity the toddler that tried to take that away from her! When I taught preschool, it was always harder on the parents. I found myself comforting the lingering, peeking parents as they had tears in their eyes. Your feelings are right on. It would be weird if you didn't have those feelings!
As for that witchy woman, well, she may need a bit of preschooling herself in relearning her manners. Hmph!
Knowing that Catherine is NOT a morning person, maybe Beth is right. It is sometimes scary to encounter Catherine in the AM. (LOL)
Every first day of school for over 20 I have found good reasons to cry. I even cried this year when I saw other parents sending their kids off for the first day.
Worry, usually, without the consequences we are dreading, is what Moms do best.
You are great it. I am so proud of you.
You look at the world through wonderful eyes! Don't ever change that, okay?! Lois is very lucky to have a mother with a GOOD heart.♥
Post a Comment