Friday, April 4, 2008

The Birthday Report

My sweet man celebrated his 36th birthday on Tuesday. He's had a nasty cold all week, so I'm not sure he was really in the mood for a celebration. But we celebrated despite the hacking cough, runny nose, and delightful noises emanating from the depths of his chest. I made some medium rare roast beef, yorkshire puddings (which he fed to the dogs), and his favorite cake. I ran out of icing on the cake and had to slather the sides with chocolate chips to disguise the fact. But I degress.... about food? Imagine that!


Lois and I had spent a day shopping and had a table full of presents for Jay. I bought him a couple of pairs of shoes to replace the ones the dogs have eaten, new sunglasses, a shirt or two, and a leather case for his new-fangled cell phone. I thought it would be fun to start a tradition, so each year Lois can get her Daddy the same treat as a birthday gift. He loves him some sweet tarts so I bought the biggest box I could find and attached a card from Baby Girl.


We also celebrated his birthday with the rest of the family while we were in Richmond last weekend. We had a big ole carrot cake from the Ukrops. (I've tried to convince him that REAL deserts don't include vegetables, but he aint listenin.) He got gifts at that party, too. Good gifts. Monetary gifts for our big trip coming up. OOhhhh. I get all excited just thinking about it. I can already hear those slot machines dinging....I digress again.


So - after all the celebrating was over - all the gifts were opened - I asked him what was his favorite part of this birthday. His answer?


The sweet tarts.


I think that was his answer because the boy loves them sweet tarts. Or maybe it's because my man appreciates the simple things in life. But I choose to believe he picked the sweet tarts because they were from his little nugget.

What a guy.


3 comments:

Teressa said...

Happy late birthday Jay!

The Richmond's said...

Happy Birthday to Jay!
Lovin your blog girl!
Have I mentioned how adorable Lois is!?!

Erin said...

Happy Birthday, Jay! I love that your little sweet tart butter bean got you some Sweet Tarts! :)