Saturday, January 23, 2010

The calm before the storm.


It's Saturday night and the Hogans have had a blissfully "normal" day. We had a greasy McDonalds breakfast, got to visit with Aunt Marpa, had cousin Maggie come stay for a sleep over with Yaya and had good friends visit over a quick pizza dinner. Lois woke up with a body full of fresh platelets and seemed ready to tackle the world. The casual observer might not realize our family has been rocked by a cancer diagnosis.

I'm so glad we've been given the precious gift of these few quiet days of normalcy before our fight begins. We spent Friday in tears - crying for the pain and sickness that lies ahead for our bean, the unfairness of our child being marked by this insidious disease, and for the loss of our happy little family routines that will surely be lost to pressing medical concerns. But the crying is over. We're done with that. And I want all of you to be, as well.

Our focus is now solely on seeing our precious daughter safely through this journey. We are happily ignorant today of the changes we will need to make in our lives to accommodate a child with a severely suppressed immune system. But whatever they are, we will make them. We aren't sure how we're going to help Lois communicate her needs while she's sick - but we'll find a way. We don't know how we're going to manage to keep Mac's life on an even keel while his sister is fighting for her life. But we'll do it. Somehow.

I imagine all of this is going to require a significant amount of help from our friends and family. And I have no doubt that when we call, you will be there. Your outpouring of support has been truly humbling. There are no words to tell you what it means to us.

Lois received an infusion of platelets on Friday afternoon. It occurred to me that someone, somewhere donated the blood that provided those platelets to my girl. So if you're feeling antsy - and wishing there was some way to help sweet Lois TODAY - go out and donate some blood. And after you do it, come back here and leave a comment and tell me you did it. Your platelets might not go to Lois, but they may go to someone else's Butter Bean who needs them just as badly as Lois did.

Looking forward to another blissfully "normal" day tomorrow.......

13 comments:

Heather said...

There is a song called "Praise You in the Storm" by Casting Crowns,one of our older girls printed the lyrics for me and it hung,every day of every single round,right beside Zoey's bed.I'd read it and re-read it and move forward.One foot in front of the other with our eyes on the prize:cure.

Lois and her indomitable spirit will lead the way and this amazing support system that seems to already surround you,will do the rest.

Soak up these days .Please don't think of "normal" ending... a "new normal" will begin,one I wish that didn't have to but you will all find your way... not one day at a time,not one moment at a time but rather one now at a time.Just right now... no further out,just now.

Angi said...

Catherine, I hadn't seen your blog before this morning...our prayers are with you on this new road you must follow with your beautiful little girl Lois. I read a few posts on you little...or Big Mac:) I have to say...it almost sounded as if I was speaking of our second born, Mazzelyn, nothing like her older brother...and giving us a run for our money from (almost) day one! From his size, to him sleeping the 1st 3 months (and then NOT) to the spit fire and the screaming...hold on for the ride on that one...(we lovingly call our daughter Mazilla) Take care of that beautiful family and may you know many people will be walking this new road next to you...

Anonymous said...

Dear Cath, Your words are eloquent, inspiring and wise. My prayers will be with your family during this time. Love -- Wendy Martin (Mart's college roommate)

Stephanie said...

Just met you but I will be here through your fight! Lending whatever support I can, and as always lots of prayers!
May God be by your side from start to finish. Refreshing you all with his grace.
God Bless

I added Lois' name to our special intentions in church.

Beth said...

Hey Pal,
You are the best. You've got a good game face on. Not a single doubt that Team Hogan is going to win.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and sending "all" my heart can give.

Lisa

Linda said...

Prayers, prayers, prayers. I will be following along on your journey, praying every step of the way. Hugs to you and your beautiful family.

Stephanie said...

Hi Catherine...this is scrappy stepy from over at TSR. Remember we were in the circle journal group together? Anyway, I read about Lois on your blog and I wanted to know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers during this time. Stephanie

Tina said...

Lois is in my thoughts and prayers....please know you have a amazing supoort system going on here, it may not take away the pain and fear but we are all here to listen, to pray and to be walk by your side on this new journey.
Stay positive and strong and know that there is a much higher power that will show you the way and hold your hand through this journey, and you will not be let down.

Mama Mason-Mann said...

Hi. I"m new to your blog and just wanted to say my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. My daughter Chloe is 1 1/2 years old and has Ds. She's our little angel, as I'm sure you know, with your own little angel.

Kele said...

My family and I will be praying for your little angel and will checking back often!

Beth said...

Lookie you! Blog all dressed up! Nicely done!

Hope today was sweet and savory, and tomorrow goes as smoothly as possible.

Anonymous said...

Catherine, My heart aches as you all are going through this. Sarah and I have prayed for Lois each night since the diagnosis and we will continue to pray for healing and for comfort for the entire family. Please let me know what we can do. I am happy to come visit you guys at the hospital, bring meals, run errands, do laundry, whatever you will need. We are here for you. - Hugs your way even though you don't like them (you know I'm a hugger)! - Monica and Sarah Ashley