So speaking of sick as a dog - that's how my girl spent her day. The initial dose of Ativan knocked her out and her first drops of chemotherapy were administered to a happily sleeping Lois nestled quite contentedly in her father's arms.
Darn. That ruined my plans for the day.
Lois slept for 2 hours but when she finally woke up, she was sick. Nothing was coming up, but she was shaky and crying and miserable. It was hard to watch. We propped her up in the crib and turned on Elmo and she managed to find a happy place for a few hours.
We think her port was bothering her more than anything else at this point. She was refusing to use her left arm, and when the nurse lifted it in the air to take her temperature, Lois went straight up and turned left. (I borrowed that little gem of an expression from my friend Wilma. It's a keeper.) Momma bear gets her claws out for the first time today and demands they give her something for pain. They came up with Tylenol. Tylenol? Really? That's all you get when they slice open your neck and implant a foreign object in your chest? I should have demanded percoset for her. And for me. As miserable as she was, I guarantee you I was more miserable.
As the day progressed she became more and more miserable until I was forced to get my claws out again and demand they give her more anti nausea medication. My new friend Heather warned me to ask for a dose for Lois every 6 hours, but the doctor's orders were for 8 hours in between doses. Those orders have changed and we are giving her Zofran every 6 hours now. It didn't take much convincing, really.
So in the middle of all that miserable-ness, this happened:
and this:
and this:
and somehow this happened to her hair:
Don't ask. I have no idea. As you well know from reading this blog, it has a mind of its own.
So what was the cause of all of this gaiety? Our friend Melissa appeared at our door today with her guitar and her bag full of fun. Melissa is a music therapist who helped me organize a therapy group for our Down Syndrome playgroup friends this summer. She's amazing and Lois LOVED music therapy because Lois LOVES music. Melissa works here at the hospital and I'm almost sure she made a special trip to the 7th floor to see my girl today.
Can you imagine how indebted I feel to Melissa for bringing a ray of sunshine into our lives on such a dark day? Watching Lois suffer is.......there are no words to describe it. It hurts. And for 20 minutes today neither Lois nor I were hurting. Thank you, Melissa.
Our friend Kelly stopped by today with Jamocha shakes for Jay and I, but her visit came at such a rotten time that it ended up being not much of a visit. Lois was at her most miserable and there were 2 nurses trying to get blood out of her port and not having much luck, and Jay was talking to my sister about things that I needed to handle and I'm not sure, but there may have been steam coming out of my ears at that point. I didn't need a dose of Ativan at that moment, I needed an Ativan salt lick in the corner. Sorry, Kelly. To spend half an hour navigating the parking deck and hallways of this hospital for so little reward makes me sad.
Margarette, the YaYa tells me you've been cooking dinner for them every night and watching my fat boy while the Yaya goes to her doctor's appointments. I will be eternally grateful to you for taking care of both of them. Thank you.
One day down. Three to go.
20 comments:
Did I not tell you ... anticlimactic for sure.Nonchalantly they walk in,hang that bag and waltz out.And you want to scream out,hold up people,that is it?I was expecting HAZMAT.
No matter.The necessary evil arrives and with it,prayers over the wee one.Those will continue here in California.
Good for you on the momma bear claws with the Zofran every 6 hours.Eased Zoey's journey a ton.Benedryl is an excellent chaser to Zofran if Zofran is lacking.It was our faithful back up.
I am certain her port was bothering her.Talk to the older ones and they wil tell you that it hardly feels good a mere 24 hours later.
And ... look at the incredible team Lois that is already rallying.Your load made lighter by the love of others.Awesome.
The best for last ... the warrior Lois.Putting on her face of courage despite the circumstance.Are these kids not just amazing?
Oh ... and another chemo lifesaver,no pun intended.Zoey lived in onesies her entire 7 months of treatment.Lois have one on in these pictures ... Zoey had one that looked like this that said" gentle as a lamb".Onesies work best with all the lines.Well,their little legs get so cold so I went and bought a ton and I mean a ton of Babylegs and if your not familiar,go to babylegs.com and check them out.The coolest things ever in every color and pattern imaginable.And for all you that are loving on Lois and looking for something to give a girl going through chemo that has everything ... this just may be the ticket.
Another survival tip from chemo 101 ...
Feel free to tell me that your sick of hearing from me..no offense will be taken!
Those pictures of her smiling made me so happy! Can you put in a request for music therapy and stuff while she's there? Poor sweet girl. Give her a hug and a kiss from me, and tell her she's loved by people in NYC!
would you ever consider taking the ativan, for real? It really helps fight back the panic that wells in my chest sometimes.
One down. Three left. Your little girl is a fighter. Go Lois!! Kick cancer's butt!
We're indebted to Melissa too. I don't know her but please pass along my thanks. I've got two cousins worried sick over here so the pictures of Lois smiling and being happy were lovely gifts. I managed to avoid showing the pictures above. I'll call you later. Let me know if you need anything - the snow shouldn't prevent a Cindy Crawford run if you need it.
Yep, they walk out alright. We were inpatient one time and the nurse, who was a "float nurse", (meaning she came up to the cancer floor from a different part of the hospital. Just to help) flat out refused to mix up Carly's chemo. Get this. She told me and my parents, "I'm not touching that poison!". Well, my parents and I flipped our lids. (I actually filed a report on that nurse.) Here's the deal. Carly's chemo that time was in pill form. It was to be crushed and placed in a flavored syrup, pulled up into a syringe and given by mouth. This nurse brought in the pill & the syringe and simply told us she would not touch it! So, yeah...they walk out.
Zofran was Carly's miracle drug. That stuff worked wonders for her. But, she required it in much closer intervals.
This girl of yours will astound you during this trying time. She will. Sure, she will have days that she simply feels like crap. But her fighting spirit will shine through. Often times, we sit and feel pity for ourselves and for our children...But our kiddo's just keep on keepin' on! Just as if nothing was amiss.
So happy to be up on the happenings, you are a riot, even in the midst opf it all. Dying to see you, will call for good time to come...Jimmy Johns? You have to be just totally over that food!
wow. I just can't begin to imagine what you're going through. Well, actually I can thanks to your eloquent writing. Thank you for taking us along on your journey. Thoughts and prayers are with you. Thanks for posting the beautiful happy pictures. It's a good image to have when sending positive mojo out in the universe to sweet little Lois.
Sweet, sweet girl. I just love the way she pepped right up for the music. She is trying to hard to fight!!! I have a constant fear of being on this journey with you in the very near future and am really thankful to have your blog to read...both the good and the bad...because the bottom line is that its reality!!! You are handling this tough situation wonderfully and even though I hardly know you, I am already amazed at the woman you are. Thank you so much for the updates as many of us are just constantly thinking of her. I think Heather and I have already put in a couple of phone hours just talking about Lois and your journey. More prayers from CA coming your way.
So glad you pushed for more drugs...you know your girl best and can tell when she's in pain. I was dosing every 3-4 hours the first days after infusion, and still felt funky. Her port will eventually heal and not be an issue...I forgot mine was there until one of the kids would head-butt me there (note to self, don't head-butt Lois in her port). Loved the pictures of Lois enjoying the music!
Your post made me cry and then smile through those tears as I saw the delighted look on Lois's face when your friend Melissa came by to visit! Praise God for your wonderful friends! We'll be praying for Lois that God will comfort her during the next few days and bring comfort for your family as well.
God Bless!
Amy
RR
How brave of you to share this journey -- and how brave your Lois is! I loved the tenderness and joy in the pictures. Lois, stay strong sweet one!♥
Lois you beautiful, precious child and so strong...if Lois loves music, you probably now all about Raffi...if not I am sure you can google it for some CD's- if you want me to I will get some and send them to you...angigrasso@yahoo.com just drop me an email I will find them and get them to your door:) Love and hugs, Angi
Lois is adorable; I'm so sorry she is having to go through this and fight that awful beast. My prayers are with your family during this difficult time, praying that she finds relief from the pain.
You're getting great advice from those who go before you. Lois is already showing the signs of a true champion. I love how she perked right up for music therapy. Sarah does the same, wish everyone knew of it's magical powers. We are walking beside you in prayer and thoughts.
I can't imagine what you must be going through right now, having to be strong is one thing but deep inside it must be the hardest most thing an parent has to witness..their little baby having to endure this. I pray that you sail through the next 2 days with the minimum of pain, and that we can see Lois's beautiful smile back on her face. Isn't it just so wonderful how little things like a bit of music can brighten up a little girls spirits.
I have all of you in my thoughts and prayers, and remember that it's after the darkest part of the night that daylight appears, here too as dark as things might be right now, daylight has to appear.
Big hug and cuddle to Lois
Your daughter is so beautiful! I found your blog from Beth's.
I'm praying for your beautiful girl and for your family too. I'm thankful you have such sweet friends.
Blessings
Leslie
Lois smiling through her misery made me cry.
My heart,
Lisa
Oh my gosh that sounds like a rough stressful day for you and a hard one for her little one. Keep up the fight and let them know what you need and want for your baby. If you want pain meds, don't give up till you get it. Tylenol pls...if it was their child I am sure they would want more. I have spent my share of time in the hospital to know that a little mommy anger and steam work.
I know you must hate the chemo..but in some places it has it's benefits. My mom is dying from cancer now and I wish she could be strong enough for a little chemo. Thinkinf of you and sending hugs and prayers on this tough journey
THis post made me cry...so sweet..Your family is so wonderful..I'll be thinking of you.
Post a Comment