Friday, January 22, 2010

January 22 my life changed.

No pictures today. No silly stories about the rigors of being at home with 2 kids under the age of 2. I'm not even sure I can make myself do this - but we have been totally overwhelmed with the kind words and thoughts and loving prayers of our friends far and wide - so I feel I owe you some details about what we found out today.

For those of you who are not our facebook friends, Lois was diagnosed with leukemia today.

Although I had felt for the past several weeks that Lois didn't seem herself, the truth of the matter is that a routine screening picked up some disturbing things in Lois's blood. Her white cells were low, her hemoglobin was low, her red blood cells were high, and her platelets were almost nonexistent. Dangerously low. We were immediately called to the pediatrician's office and shipped off to the Pediatric Oncologist this morning. Lois had a bone marrow aspiration, where a sample of Lois's bone marrow and an actual core sample of bone is removed.

Although that sample is currently undergoing more testing, we have a preliminary diagnosis of Acute megakaryoblastic leukemia (AMKL). The two most common forms of leukemia are ALL (Acute lymphoblastic leukemia) and AML (Acute Myeloid leukemia). Children with ALL are usually treated with monthly chemotherapy treatments for 3 years. It's the good kind of leukemia. (Is there such a thing?) Children with AML receive much more aggressive treatment and are usually hospitalized for most of it - but the duration of the treatment is much shorter. Usually 8 months.

The kind of leukemia that Lois has is very uncommon - and in the DS population is basically seen only in those children who had Transient Myeloproliferative Disorder in infancy. The survival rates are close to 90% for children with DS. Children without a bonus chromosome rarely get AMKL. Those that do have a rough time ahead. It can be deadly in the non-Trismony population. If you have a child with Down syndrome, and they have to have leukemia, you want them to have AMKL. Or at least that's what we heard today. Her treatment will be similar to ALL treatment in that it will be less aggressive, but similar to AML treatment in its shorter duration. The best of both worlds. Without an extra chromosome, this diagnosis would be devastating. Just another reason to thank the universe for blessing our girl with a little something extra.

Our new oncologist is a bit....how do I say this nicely?......odd. She's an odd bird. And although several times today I wanted to grab her by the throat and shake her till her sensible velcro shoes flew off her feet, I think we are in good hands. She has actually done research on myeloproliferative disorder and AMKL so I suppose I'll have to get my propensity for violence under control. But really, it's hard to have really positive vibes about the person who tells you your kid has cancer.

We're in a holding pattern until all of Lois's lab work comes back. Preliminarily we're hearing that Lois's cancer might be able to be treated on an outpatient basis. But we don't know any specifics at this point. She'll probably need to have a portacath implanted in her chest next week in order to avoid hundreds of needle sticks. And after our experience today, that sounds like a great idea. Your offers of help keep pouring in, and we appreciate them all so much. Mac is a major concern for us, but for now he's safe and sound with his Yaya. After our appointment on Tuesday, we'll try to make more definite future plans and we WILL let you know how you can help. Those of you who know me know I'm not one to ask for help - or willingly or graciously accept it. I may have to get past that - quickly.

To our friends in the DS community - your heartbreak and outrage is so very heartwarming. Jay and I met little Evie only one time, but her diagnosis and struggle were so very personal to us. She was a member of the club. She was one of us. We knew it could just as easily been Lois in that hospital room at UVA. So next week it will be Lois in a hospital room at VCU and I totally understand how you all are feeling about that. Take heart. Lois will show leukemia who is boss - just like she's been showing Jay and I for the past 2 years. We are honored to be part of the club and we definitely feel the love.

My sister has been by our side for the past two days - literally. She arrived with our McDonalds fries today just in time to see Lois waking up from her propofol sleep like a drunk on a weekend binge. Lois is so lucky to have her Aunt Marpa.

My sweet Dr. Meck/Atkinson called us late last night after I emailed her Lois's preliminary bloodwork. She prepared me well for what I was going to hear today and made sure I went in that office knowing what I was talking about. If only Dr. Meck could commute to Richmond to see my baby girl through this awful trial. She can't be Lois's doctor from 200 miles away, but she told me today she'd be my "advisor." We can't thank you enough, friend. We love you.

I promise to post again on Tuesday with whatever details we find out.

Love to you all - xoxoxoxox

48 comments:

Nise said...

You are such a strong woman! And Louis is so lucky to have such a great momma & daddy!!! Havent stopped thinking about her and I wont!!! She & your entire family will remain in our thoughts! If yall NEED anything please let me know, I can be on Mac duty or even tend to your four legged kids too =) Love you to you all! *HUGS*

GiGi said...

Thanks for the update. I know it can't be easy to do. You are not alone on this journey. We are all there with you all the time. It is good to hear that in this whole mess there is so good news about the kind of leukemia that she has and a confirmation that the little something extra is truly a blessing. Of course we already knew that. Stay strong and let us know when you need us. Hugs and love to Lois, Mac, you and Jay. Gigi

Anonymous said...

Hogan family:
My daughter was in the NICU at UVA. One of the nurses we had was so harsh and horribly direct. But, as we would later find out, she was one of the biggest supporters for our baby girl and the care that she received. So, I kinda know what you are going thru. Please, please, please let us know what we can do to help you. Prayers are definitely being said to help you get thru this. With much love,
Kristen Bray

Mike Powell said...

Hi Cath -- so sorry to hear about Lois's diagnosis. It sounds like you've got lots of capable help but please let me know if there's anything we can do.
Mikey

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce. I first read the words from Beth. I gasped from the shock, but then quickly realized that Lois must be just like her momma and will kick this cancer right out the door. I'm sure this must just seem so unfair and it is, but with prayer and love from those around you I know you will get through it. Thank you for taking the time for the lengthy description, it was very educational for those who have not been down this road. Hugs and prayers to you all.

Anna said...

Just read about your adorable little one and the road ahead. You are from here on out in my prayers.

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

We will be praying for Lois and for you... our daughter Kennedy battled AML in 2007. She fought and she won, just like Lois will!!! If you need ANYTHING, please email me. I'd be happy to give you my phone number... I know it's not exactly the same path, but it's a similar journey... one that no one wants to travel. I'll be checking in!
Renee & Kennedy
CAmommy2KJ@aol.com
http://www.myspecialks.com

exnyers said...

i'm a friend of beth's and i just want to say that we are praying for your sweet baby girl and you and your whole family. i hate cancer with ever fiber of my being and i will be SO psyched when i hear that she has beat it!!!

sending positive thoughts....
kim in chester

Adrienne said...

I'm here from Beth's blog and my heart goes out to you and little Lois. Such a sweet little girl you have. I have an 8 month old son and he has DS as well. His blood work came back slightly abnormal so cancer has been on my mind and probably will be for a long time.

I will be checking in and your daughter will be in my prayers. She sounds like she's a very strong little girl, she'll get through this.

Cammie Heflin said...

Praying praying praying for beautiful Lois, she is so sweet. I'm glad that you got positive information as well, taking in lots of negative is never fun.

Sasha@ Blyssfulhealth said...

Hi I am new to your blog. I have a son with DS. Just wanted to say that I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Tina said...

I follow your blog and think your Lois is out of this world adorable, right now I am in shock and don't really have the right words to express my sadness on hearing this news, nothing can really prepare us for this. Having said that I am confident that everything will be just fine, I will keep Lois in my prayers and I am sure she is going to prove herself to be a right fighter. With so much love pouring in and prayers coming from all over the world your brave little girl with fight this damn thing! Be confident of that. Will check in for an update.

Anonymous said...

I said it before and I will say it again. Lois was given to the right mother. Catherine don't you ever forget that! The Bean is the luckest little girl in the world tonight. She has two parents that love and love and love her. It's a funny thing about love, there is more and more everyday! I want you to know that my most positive thoughts are being sent to all of you. All my love, Lisa

Heather said...

My name is Heather,mom to Miss Zoey,who just completed treatment for the exact same leukemia that your precious little Lois has just been diagnosed with.Zoey was in fact born with TMD and it transitioned, 19 months later to AML M7.

Tonight I send my prayers of strength your way as you begin this journey.I send prayers in abundance for you sweet Lois.She will be your guide through the days ahead and when you are weary,it will indeed be your faith and your precious daughter that will carry you.

Please feel free to stop by our blog if you are up to it and catch a glimpse of Zoey and in her eyes find hope ...

Unknown said...

I'm very sorry to read this post. Lois can and will weather the storm. It can be done. When our daughter was diagnosed (ALL), back in 2004, our Oncologist told us, in a very matter of fact way, "We can cure this". Hold tight to that because, this can be cured. We will be praying of course.

RK said...

I came over from Sarah's blog (Class of 2008) and wanted to say that we'll be praying for Lois. You have an excellent perspective, and it sounds like you have a great support system. We'll look forward to watching Lois show leukemia who's boss!

Ann said...

I'm jumping over from Sarah's blog. I've followed your blog, drawn by the outrageous cuteness of Lois. I will keep Lois and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Go kick AMKL's booty Lois!

Molly said...

Oh gosh, i just got sent here from Sarah Ely's blog. Your girl is GORGEOUS. We're all here for you!! If you need anything please feel free to email me. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
My name is Lianna and I saw the link to your blog on Hannah's Shenanigans, and read a litte bit about Lois. I had to "meet" your Butter Bean and to say that I know she will beat this! Lois, and all of you are in my heart and prayers!♥♥♥

Linda said...

I'm here from Beth's blog- will be praying for you guys! Thanks for the very educational update, it helps for those of us in the DS that haven't traveled down that path. God bless you and your family.

Kristen's mom said...

This is Polly, Kristen's mom. I have no doubt that cute little Lois will indeed show who is boss and kick this cancer. My kristen was 3 when she was first diagnosed. I had an 18 month daughter and was pregnant with my
5th child. Your little boy will do well, it sounds like he already has a pretty cool aunt. A port of some kind is definately the first thing I would get. Kristen has always had a central line, although it can't get wet, she receives NO pokes, other than the bone marrow biopsies and the lunbar punctures, but she is put to sleep for those. Wishing you well and "welcome to the club"

amyl4 said...

Praying for your sweet little girl! I am a mother to three sons with Ds and I want you to know that all of us will be praying for Lois and for your entire family.
Amy
RR

Reading Widely said...

I heard about you through Sarah's blog. I have a 2 year old with DS. I will be praying for Lois and your whole family as you go through this time of difficulty.

Jenee said...

Thank you so much for your blog. I've been following Lois since before my little Kaitlyn (has Ds) was born. Your blog was the first positive thing I read when we received our prenatal diagnosis. Beth had posted on FB about a close friend with a Leuk diagnosis, my heart sank, when I found out this morning it was Louis I cried. The Ds community is amazing and eventhough we are strangers I feel like you are apart of my family. Our little Katie had heart surgery just 2 months ago, we witnessed first hand the power of prayer. Louis will beat this. And daily we will prayer for your strength and a speedy recovery for your little butter bean. Much love being sent your way.

Jenee, Muskegon, MI

kaitlynskorner080409.blogspot.com

Simply, Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Denise said...

I just found your blog via Sarah at Class of 2008. I just wanted to let you know that my thoughts and prayers are with your family. I have a little girl with Ds who is almost 22 months old and she was born with TMD so leukemia is a constant worry with us. She has been followed monthly since birth and had some bone marrow biopsies etc. Low platelets are her favorite game to play but so far, we haven't seen any "nasty cells". I feel for you because I live in constant fear that we could be there anytime now. But so far, Ella keeps holding it at bay. I know sweet Lois will fight through this but I also know you can use all the love and kindness possible. And you will find so much of that right here in blogland. By the way, that Lois is one adorable little girl. I wish I had found your blog sooner. Please email me if you need anything!!

Rochelle said...

We came over from Sarah Ely's blog.
We are holding Lois and your whole family up in prayer in this difficult time.

Lan said...

Hang in there Hogan family, I have faith Lois will pull through the treatments!! She's one determined kid! Please update us with any help we can give. Hugs!!

Simply, Sarah said...

I just saw Sarah Ely's blog, and had to come see what's going on.

We just started the surreal ALL life with our child with Ds on December 2.

If you need to email, feel free. Or, you can check out the blog. I don't have a whole lot of stuff on the blog about the leukemia, or pictures of the baby. When we adopt the baby, it will be different, but there are some posts about what we've gone through on it.

And, like I said, I can share a lot more if you email me.

I'm sorry you have to go through this, but it sounds like you already are thinking the positives too, that if you HAVE to have leukemia, this is the one to have, and that you get a shorter treatment time is great! Plus, you have a girl, so maintenance treatment should be a year shorter than if it were a boy.

sampledroid said...

Catherine,
our prayers are with you all. I can't even imagine.

<3 Shawnna

Edie van den Ordel said...

Hi Hogan family, its Edie from TSR.. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys. I know I am across the country over in CA but if there is anything I can do to help, maybe send something for Lois in the mail let me know. xoxo

Tara said...

Praying for your sweet girl and for you, as well!

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Though I don't have a child with DS, my life has been profoundly impacted by families who do. Rest assured, your daughter and family will be surrounded by people praying for you from all over the world.

Kacey Bode said...

Thinking of and praying for your family and that adorable Lois!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine. It's Gilly(Gem 66) here from TSR. I just wanted to say that we have heard the news on Lois and that we are sending prayers and thoughts your way. On a personal note, I just wanted to let you know that my nephew was diagnosed at 3 with childhood leukemia. He is not a healthy, active(hockey player) at the age of 9. You will get through this you strong lady. So glad that your sister can be there for you. Take care and hugs from all of us at TSR!PS Have you seen me in any stores around there lately? LOL

The VW's said...

Praying for your sweet girl and your family!!! Hang in there and fight precious girl! HUGS!!!

Cathy said...

I'm sorry we haven't "met" before. I'm also sad that we are meeting because of this diagnosis. I found you through Sarah's blog. Know that Lois is now a part of my daily prayers.

Mary said...

Lots of prayers headed your way.

The Richmond's said...

Catherine and Jay, you were blessed with Lois and she was blessed with you and I know that with her strong will she will kick this. I'm so sorry, the whole thing just sucks. Hugs

Anonymous said...

The Christiansburg community is learning your news the old fasion way, the HOT LINE. Kelley called me, I call Cheryl, Wilma, and Donna and will let others at CES know on Monday. I can't but say I have shed a few tears and prayed more prayers than I normally do in the last 24 hours. Lois, was given to you as a special gift because you would know how what to say and do. Trust your instincts and your intellect. There are also a ton cousins in TN praying for you and some in Roanoke too. We love you.
Sonora aka The Green One

Stephanie said...

Hi there, I found out about Lois from Joyce. Just here to let you know we are praying for you,and lending some blogland support.

She can do this!!!

Amy said...

Add me to the list of prayer warriors!

Mandy said...

Will be praying your family thru this.

Natalie said...

Found you through Hannah and Beth who found us through CaringBridge (I think) when my son had ALL. Sending you prayers and strength!

Anonymous said...

Add me to your crew of prayer warriors!

LaurieS
Iowa

Pallavi said...

Oh dear! I was late on reading this. Feeling extremely sad to know about little Louis.Have faith in HIM, things would be fine. A tight hug to you strong Mommy. Love to Louis. Keeping you all in Prayers

Maria in Columbus said...

Catherine...heard on TSR about Lois' diagnosis. Many prayers are being/will be said for her fight and your strength. Big HUGS.

Anonymous said...

My duaghter is 10 and didn't have leukemia but I've known many families over the years who've been through what you're going through and not ONE of them has lost their child to this. These kids are incredibly resilient and there's been so much research on this particular type of leukemia that the treatments are very effective. You will have the strength to get through this, your daughter will give you the inspiration you need -- she's so precious. Much love and many prayers.