Richmond received a giant dump of 12 inches of snow on Saturday. In good 'ole Christiansburg, this would amount to nothing more than a few hours of cabin fever before the roads - both primary and secondary - were cleared of the snow. In Richmond, I think everyone at the local VDOT office is standing at the windows collectively crapping their pants. They aren't sure what to do with snow. Jay and I like to imagine that there is only one snow plow in the entire Greater Richmond area because major thoroughfares - like Interstate 95 - won't have seen a snow plow until the next day. If I-95 isn't being plowed, what is? Apparently that one plow was in the shop on Saturday for an oil change. It was a mess and Jay and I were trapped at the hospital.
Which brings me to the people I'm most thankful for today - my cousin Phyllis and her husband Darren. They braved the elements in their 4 wheel drive Jeep and came to let my dogs out to potty. A simple job which turned into a not so simple job when our STOOPID dogs wouldn't come downstairs. That's right. Two people show up offering them food and a trip to the backyard to take care of their business, and they won't leave our bedroom. I'm so miffed that they had to deal with that situation - and absolutely MORTIFIED they had to witness the toxic waste dump that is our master bedroom. I've always prided myself on keeping the lower level of my house relatively tidy so that I won't die of shame should anyone decide to drop by. Of course, Jay and I have recently been on a room by room organization plan and in tidying the other rooms on the lower level, our office is now shrunken in size by half because it's full of all the crap we've purged from the other rooms. But I digress.
So my lower level - passable. Perhaps even to my cousin for whom I purchased a sonic scrubber as a wedding present. That's what she registered for. Cleaning paraphernalia. I can't relate - but I have a healthy respect for someone who enjoys the act of scrubbing grout with a rubber headed rotating brush. Seriously. More power to you, cuz. But it's not my thing. Nor is it my husbands. But we do our best with everything except the master bedroom, because who is going to see it, right? It's our room! It's on the second floor! Guests don't usually visit the second floor of our home. Except of course, when they come to rescue our dogs and they refuse to be rescued. And then, tragically, our dump of a bedroom is on display. Mortifying.
Phyllis and Darren - with a little guidance from us - finally did get my stoopid dogs to go outside. They medicated my epileptic dog. They fed and watered the cats and dogs. They shoveled a path from the street to the front porch. And they cleaned the litter box. I'm sorry, but that is above and beyond the call of duty. I think I need to go purchase some new heads for their sonic scrubber as a thank you.
Seriously, P/D. We owe you BIG. Thanks.
Of course, this is the Daily Lois - not the Daily Discussion of my Lack of Tidiness. So let's get back to the matter at hand, shall we?
I braved the elements and came home tonight leaving my camera and all of my latest photos at the hospital. Bummer. I have some great shots because our girl is quite the trooper. She's doing really well, I'm happy to report. With the exception of Saturday morning (24 hours into chemo, just like you said, Heather) she's been feeling great. And I am so thankful. If she's happy, I'm happy.
I will update you more tomorrow evening once I have the proper photographic accompaniment. That Tivo is calling me..
7 comments:
I am SO happy that she had a better day today! She is quite the little trooper :-)
I forgot to tell you- I love your new blog theme!
Glad to hear she is doing well. I need to continue to hear these good stories as my inspiration should I need to follow in your path. Be safe on those roads!!!
My heart!
Lisa
Resilient and amazing,aren't they?Tiny bodies.Might spirits and tough,tough genes!!
*I emailed you back.Didn't do spell check.Lord knows what it looks like.
This toxic waste dump you refer to? Never saw it - we didn't leave the stairwell/landing at the top of the stairs - that's where your puppers both crawled into my lap ... :)
Hug ALL your kids for us & of course, yell if you need us - we mean that!! P.
Can't wait to see her smiling face, happy if she is happy:) Glad you have such wonderful people so close to you!!
Post a Comment