Lois on her way to surgery today.
Don't cry Yaya. I know she looks pathetic, but she's OK.
Don't cry Yaya. I know she looks pathetic, but she's OK.
It's 1:30. My little bean is somewhere in this hospital with her Daddy waiting to go into surgery for a portacath, a spinal tap, and an injection of a chemotherapy drug into her spinal fluid. Jay is pale, has the shivers, and isn't talking - he needs a doctor almost worse than Lois right now. But he's refusing to leave until she's in surgery. Mac, who is in Pennsylvania with YaYa has a doctor's appointment at 3:30pm because he has a cough that starts at his toes and a drippy nose. And I am compulsively eating Cheetos against my better judgement. (Too many Cheetos can cause hallucinations. It's true. Ask Auntie Gina.) The universe has a sense of humor. However, today, I do not. Today I feel like someone needs to give the Hogan family a freakin break. Especially the cop who ticketed us for the expired inspection sticker. That was the cherry on top of our shit sundae.
I was too tired to update the blog last night and put the laptop away early in favor of sleep. Nice try, Momma. Last night was my shift in the hospital and it was approximately 4am before Lois and I both finally got to sleep. For a whopping total of 2 hours. Lois can't sleep because of the incessant racket of babies crying and industrial floor cleaners happening outside our door. She can't sleep because every 20 minutes the alarm goes off on her IV to tell us the line is occluded when really, it isn't. She can't sleep because there are helicopters landing on the roof. I have no visual confirmation of this, but I have experience with this phenomenon (thank you CRMH NICU) and I swear it sounds the same. And she can't sleep because part of her sweet self has to know that something is rotten in Denmark.
By the way, things aren't as rotten as we thought. Would you believe me if I told you Lois actually does NOT have leukemia? She doesn't. She has myelodysplastic syndrome. If you make the unfortunate choice to google those words, make sure you're wearing full coverage underpants because the information you find may cause you to #$%^ yourself. It's not a pretty illness in anyone except a sweet 2 year old with Down Syndrome. It is essentially a pre-leukemia. Lois has abnormal cells that just haven't quite made it into full blown leukemia cells yet. Knowing Lois, this is mildly amusing. Even at the cellular level, my girl is a lazy slug.
Unfortunately, myelodysplasia is treated the same way you would treat a child with full blown AML. She'll have the exact same treatment she would have had if those lazy cells had gotten their acts together and gone all leukomoid on us. Chances are good that it hasn't found it's way into her spinal fluid which we will find out later today. That's good, as Lois will require less spinal taps - and less chemo administered into the spinal fluid.
I got full details on her treatment yesterday and oddly enough, each of the 6 are slightly different. This month's treatment is the full 96 hours. Next month she'll be admitted for 2 days of chemo the first week and the 2 days the next week. Lovely. Then the next month we're back to 96 hours again. The final two treatments are marathon 168 hour continuous infusions of chemo.
I know. We thought 96 hours was bad. Sheesh.
She'll get a nasty drug called daunorubicin that will more than likely take that thick thatch of unruly hair from her head. When her hair goes, Daddy plans to shave his, too. Can't wait for that photo opportunity. I guess I need to invest in some hats for the bean. Some non girly hats. I wonder if they make baseball caps small enough for her little head?
Here's an interesting tidbit. They examined the chromosomes in Lois's bone marrow. Did you know they can differ from the chromosomes in the rest of your body? Oddly enough, Lois has 4 copies of her 21st chromosome in her bone marrow and 4 copies of her 8th chromosome. What's that make her? Quadrisomy 21? I don't really understand why, but apparently those extra copies of #21 confirmed that this is a leukemoid situation - which makes me wonder why all DS kids don't have their marrow tested to see if they have extra copies? Wouldn't that be a predictor for those that will someday develop leukemia? I'm going to ask my new friend - Lois's Oncologist. Not Dr. Hem and Haw. This is another Doctor from the group and we LOVE her. She went to UVA. Her husband's sister went to high school with Jay.
It's a small world.
Butter Bean's Brigade is now 50 members strong and growing by the day. Would you believe we have members from as far away as Spain and Panama? Even if you aren't local to Richmond, please join the brigade. We're working on some ways for all of you to show Lois that you are thinking about her and are leary of publishing our home address on the blog. That information will only go out to brigade members so please consider signing up. We're hoping to collect well wishes forLois from all 50 states and maybe a few foreign countries. Something tells me I can count on my old friend Vicki for a postcard or two from Spain. More on that later, but please go here to join:
www.butterbeansbrigade.org
Thanks, Mikey. So kind of you to create that site for us - Jay is impressed - from one computer guy to another.)
Our friend Beth, Miss Kate's mother, made us a home cooked meal and delivered it to the hospital last night complete with salad, muffins for breakfast, and a homemade get well card for Lois from Hannah. Can't tell you how nice it was NOT to eat McDonald's or ChickFilA! My sister dropped off a care package to beat all care packages this morning and we now have enough food to plan an intimate cocktail party for the staff of the 7th floor - minus the cocktails, of course. She is responsible for the Cheetos. I'm going to have to have Auntie Gina talk to her about that later. She also stopped by our house and let our dogs out midday, saving us a trip home. And I think she folded some laundry when she was there which was UNNECESSARY!
I'm just saying.
We had visits from Miss Jessica and my cousin Phyllis yesterday which really helped break up the monotony of being here. When we were in the clinic on Tuesday morning waiting (and waiting and waiting) for the pathology report, we struck up a conversation with Emily - whose son has ALL. We learned more from 20 minutes with her than in most of our conversations with Dr. Hem and Haw. She found Lois's blog through google and has since become a member of the brigade. Thanks for walking with us on this journey, Emily.
Please don't stay up tonight worrying about this (because I'll be doing that for you and at least one of us should get some sleep) , but did you know that on Lois's floor of the hospital, only about 50% of the kids have parents staying with them? Tiny babies here alone. They cry at night. I have to believe that the parents of these children want to be here, but there are circumstances in their lives that prevent them from doing so. That's doubly heart breaking. Those children give me perspective on how lucky I am to have 1 amazing sister who loves my children like her own:
and 1 Yaya and a Pops who would move heaven and earth for me, their son-in-law, and their grandchildren:
and 1 husband who loves his daughter to the ends of the earth. and his son. and especially his wife.
We're blessed beyond reason. But if the universe could clear up the snotty noses and allow the cops to not notice our expired sticker for the next few weeks, that would be great.
Lois is out of surgery now and in recovery and we're looking forward to seeing her back here in the room. She doesn't have to start chemo until the morning - so Momma can look forward to a good night's sleep at home tonight while Jay pulls uncomfortable chair bed duty at the hospital.
We'd love to see you if you'd like to visit - assuming Lois doesn't get really sick from chemo. Send us an email if you'd like to stop by.
xoxoxoxo
C
18 comments:
Love. That's all for now, but more coming all the tiem.
I got your blog from Little Zoey's blogspot and have added you to my blog. Little Lois has been added to my prayers as well!
I'll be praying! Your sweet girl is absolutely beautiful! I hope that all of this will go as smoothly as it possibly can!
I've spent many months in the hospital with our little guy that has DS and it SUCKS, but having support from people and keeping a sense of humor will help to get you through!
I mention sense of humor, because I was laughing throughout much of your post even though you have had such a difficult couple of days.....this means that you have a sense of humor and this is a necessity in times like you are going through! So, keep it up! Hang in there! And, know that many are praying for you and your sweet girl! HUGS!!!
Not sure if anyone has offered but I'd love to make a prayer button for your blog! Just let me know.
Wow ... that was a post.Chock full of a whole lot of stuff you could have done without knowing,uh?New vernacular,that puts you on a club that you could have done without admittance to either.
One our our very dear friends here,Denise, who I know has left a comment or two,and her little love Ella have had myelodysplastic thrown at them as a possibility as well ... not officially,but I am certain she will be following your journey extra close.
Left a few tidbits on facebook.Tricks of the trade so to speak, that helped Zoey along the way.Look for those and email me or call if you think of anything else.Have a question.Or just want to chat.
Now,this last part I hesitate to throw out their for fear of Lois' vast followers wrath if it turns out differently but here it goes ...Zoey did not lose her hair.My child,like yours,does things in her very own unique way... always.So,I'm just saying,buy the cute little hats,I bought a ton of bandanas but each round... nothing.
Go home.Recharge.Refill that awesome humor tank that you say is depleted but I say otherwise and look at that gift of perspective, that on days like today, can be an awesome consolation prize that God throws our way.
Strength,peace and grace from California.
Totally off topic, but Lois is so cute! I bet the team over there is loving her!
Egad, your post and pictures have me crying. I don't think there is anything such as sleep in a hospital. So, I get that whole thing about NOT sleeping. Both you and Lois need your sleep. It's not easy.
Lois has a cheerleading squad here in Ottawa, ON, Canada. We're rootin' for her full and happy recovery to happen really soon!♥♥♥
Prayers for you guys. Peace and love and patience and grace. Hugs and comfort too. Going to join the brigade.
Thanks for that long and involved post. Know it must have been time consuming. Appreciate all the info.
completely in love with Lois here in RI.
Sending prayers and a hug for your sweet.
I hope you sleep well my friend. If the cheeto monster sized spiders come after you tonight don't say I didn't warn you.
Yes.. as Heather mentioned above, they have mentioned the word myelodysplastic thrown our way as well. I am going to email you because I have more to write than I should on the comment section. But until then, know that Lois is being thought of and prayed for all the way from CA. Thanks so much for the update.
Thanks for updating us on the latest, Lois is continously in my thoughts and so are you and your family. As hard as it must be right now I am sure you have a hidden well of strength which you probably didn't realise you had, and that is going to help you through this...everything is going to be fine, just continue to believe that.
Many many prayers as well as positive energy is being sent to Lois all the way from across the globe, many people are praying for her and just know that amazing powers are going to protect Lois throughout this journey.
I am so glad they were able to do the port surgery yesterday. If she is like Nathan, she will be in right much pain for the next day or two, but then your life will be so much easier...no more ouchies in her little veins. Don't be at all alarmed if she screams bloody murder the first time they access the port...there are times Nathan still does and he has had it done 1000 times.
I am very much like Jay, I never leave the hospital and at one point in time when i was wandering the halls of hell I looked down and realized I had no shoes on and had no clue where I was! Stay strong for each other..tell Jay to eat (even though I am sure he wont) and you continue to eat so that when he falls out on the floor Lois is not wondering why yall are both passed out on the floor.
It is so very sad that half the kids on that floor have no parents, it makes you want to just go in there and hold them... I could never do that. The planes are landing right above your head..last January and July when we were in there, they were landing RIGHT outside our window...NOT FUN. They clean the floors and empty your trash at all hours of the night..HELLLOOO we are SLEEPING and are here for a REASON...Hang in there, soon the whole family will be home and together again. Try to enjoy the snow, from inside, and I am serious, call me if you need ANYTHING..we are just right down the street...well for now...we are trying to move this weekend if this stupid snow doesnt get in the way. Give Lois a kiss and hug from us (Nathan asked about her the other night-said do you think she still has gas...haha..you gotta love boys) and you all continue to be in our prayers.
Oh crap about that inspection sticker. I'm kicking myself. Remember that email I sent you about getting "oil changes" done? I almost mentioned getting inspections done too, since I got a ticket for the same thing when Chris was in the hospital for his broken vertebrae. I didn't write it because I thought I was being pushy enough. My bad.
Hope the Bean had some good pain meds and that some Hogan got some sleep.
As usual, Catherine, you have a way of making me laugh and cry all at the same time when I read your posts! Sending love to the Bean...
Good thoughts and prayers headed your way. I love her sweet face and think about her often=)
Another that found you from Zoey's blog...wish I could help...Lois is precious and I am amazed at your current grace and humor!!!! You are awesome!! This has to be so very difficult and you had me in tears and chuckles ...almost at the same time.. Lois will beat this!! She is so very lucky to have such a WONDERFUL family. saying a prayer again tonight for your beautiful girl Lois and her family...
Lois and your family are in my daily prayers. Very interesting about the extra, EXTRA chromosome!! Who knew? You are blessed with wonderful family and friends. Hope to see Lois back at preschool soon. Anita
Post a Comment