Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Pity Party

I'm trying not to have one, but it would be SO easy right now. I'm pooped, people. Pooped from a day spent doing nothing but waiting. Andrew would say it was just like the Army - hurry up and wait. I did a lot of waiting today. A LOT. And it's not like I was waiting for anything good. I wasn't waiting for a dozen Tollhouse cookies to come out of the oven. Oh no. I was waiting for the medical staff of VCU to come up with new and varied ways to torture my kid. They excel at this. Somewhere in that hospital right now they are working on tomorrow's plan for the mistreatment of Lois Hogan and her kind hearted parents.

So maybe I AM having that pity party. All they are trying to do is get my girl well - even though she isn't sick. At least not visibly sick. But give it a few days and they are going to have her good and sick - the evil bastards.

This post isn't going quite the way I intended.

So believe it or not, the lab report still isn't back. But the information that is trickling in is all pointing to AMKL or a precursory version of it. Do you really want me to go into greater detail on this? I hope not, because I'm not sure the blogger spell-checker knows how to spell some of the words I heard today. At this point, I think those lab results are irrelevant. My kid has cancer. She has leukemia. And they are going to make Lois's life - and mine - and Jay's - and Mac's a big pile of poop for the next 6 months in order to clean it up. What a drag. I know I'm being rather flippant about this, but my other alternative is to sit here and fill up Jay's keyboard with 2 liters of tears and I don't think that would do me much good.

It was a hard day. But we finally heard what we have to look forward to in the coming months. Lois will need 6 chemo treatments. It looks like most of them, if not all of them, will need to be administered while Lois is in the hospital. No outpatient chemo for us. Why? Because Lois will receive 96 hours of chemo at one time.

I know. Say all the curse words you want.

It does seem rather extreme, doesn't it? The good news is, that Lois's chemo will have a lot less strength than your typical chemo dose. Lois is getting off easy. And if what my new friend Heather tells me is true - then it probably won't make Lois very sick. Her daughter went through this exact same thing. And she knew lots of other bonus chromosome kids who have endured chemo and they weren't that sick, either. I've always said that extra chromosomes have their privileges. I just never imagined this would be one of them.

Just to be clear - because my Facebook post seems to have many of you wallowing in a deep depression - AS I WOULD BE - if Lois had to spend the next 6 months in a hospital - She will be in the hospital for those 96 hours and then will hopefully be released to spend the next 3-4 weeks at home. Dr. Hem and Haw (did you really expect me NOT to give her a name?) said Lois can even attend school during those weeks if she feels up to it. Happy, happy news for Lois.

Will she lose her hair? I don't know. But after all the complaining I've done about it, it will probably stay right where it is. Hanging in her eyes and growing straight forward from the back of her head. Oh how you taunt me, you tricksy follicles!!! Honestly, her hair isn't a big consideration for me. Neither is the scar or placement of her portacath. Battle scars, people. Lois can someday be very proud of the storm she's going to weather. And with or without hair and with or without visible scars, she is beautiful inside and out.

That last line was so treacly sweet, I'm shocked it came out of my mouth.

But it's true.

OK. I saved the best news for last. It's what I will allow to linger in my thoughts as I drift off to sleep tonight.

The course of treatment that Lois has been prescribed is called a protocol. It was developed by a large group of pediatric oncologists from some of the most progressive children's hospitals in the world - including St. Jude's. (That $25.00 a month IS going to benefit Lois, Yaya!) A group of doctors did a study involving a group of children with DS who were suffering from AMKL and who had MPD as infants and were being treated using this protocol. They had a 100% survival rate.

The irony is - an extra chromosome made Lois more likely to develop leukemia, but it's also going to allow her to survive it. Gotta love that extra 21, folks.

Lois got a special gift from her buddy Jackson and his family today. I got a lovely email message from our dear Miss Judy (They say it takes a village to raise a child? Well Miss Judy is the chief of Lois's village as far as I'm concerned.) and one from Lois's teacher at school. We're hoping to see Lois's head cheerleader Miss Jessica tomorrow who has rallied Lois's entire preschool behind her. My favorite Veteran has been trying to call me and not catching me at a good time. Send me an email, boyfriend - and congrats on becoming an Uncle. We love you.

We've set up a website called Butter Bean's Brigade - it's a way to help us coordinate the hundreds of offers of help we're receiving. If you are interested in becoming a member of the brigade, please follow this link:

http://www.lotsahelpinghands.com/c/622228/

Fill out the right hand side of the form which is a Request to Join the Community. Once you've done this, Jay and I approve your request and you'll be added to the community. Once you are a member, you will be sent instructions via email for setting a password and signing in. It sounds complicated, but it really isn't. We'll be adding things to the calendar as Lois's treatment progresses and we can more easily anticipate our needs.

More tomorrow from the land of unnecessary needlesticks.....

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart.

Lisa

Denise said...

Thinking of you alot right now!!

Tina said...

Prayers going out to all of you

Heather said...

Throw yourself as many pity parties as necessary.Your totally entitled to them.Scream,yell,cry those buckets of tears and tomorrow you will rally yourself and do what's got to done.All for your butter bean.Hang on girl ... YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS.

Sending prayers of strength and grace.Tons of it.

Sasha@ Blyssfulhealth said...

Thinking of you as you go through this hard journey.

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce. Even in the hour of fear, your words are brillant. Thinking of you all.

Aunt Marpa said...

For future posts, could you please try to use all the same fonts? It was hurting my bleary eyes trying to read it after a night spent on the couch tossing and turning thinking about my Melon. Thanks. Oh, and be prepared for the Cindy Crawford special tomorrow morning - I'll make the drop on the sidewalk. The goose will fly before I go to work.

Mike Powell said...

Cathy, I set up http://butterbeansbrigade.org to redirect to your lotsahelpinghands.com site, if you want to give that out instead of the longer, less butter-bean-specific URL. :)

Gretchen a/k/a StampingRooster said...

96 hours every month is tough, but I'm so glad that it's not a straight six months (*shudder*). Take everything they say about infection risk - and calling with the slightest sign of a fever - very very seriously. Seriously.

I can feel for you. It's going to be rough. But you've got the best peeps and we're all pulling for you guys. Lois is one tenacious chick and she's going to make it through fine.

And anything I can do from up here, give me a hollar. And if you guys need a weekend escape, I have a sleeper couch.

Anna said...

You are allowed. Please know from my totally different story. Ive learned this: Grief is natural. Fear is real. Righteous anger is what it is. Let yourself feel whatever emotion you need to feel to get through this. We have them. The end. And send me an invite to the party! I'll bake the cake and bring the balloons! {hugs}

Anonymous said...

It was great seeing the bean today. Thank you for letting me come visit her. I miss seeing her smiling face at the school. You guys are awesome and you will get through this!!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, it is Emily, I met yall on Tuesday in the clinic. I hope everyone is doing well. I have thought about you guys a lot these past two days and have woken up both nights wondering how everyone is doing. I remember the first few days of entering the world of unknown and trying to figure out the new language they were speaking all too well. It is has now been a year and a half since Nathan was diagnosed and trust me, things will get better. You will always be parents and want what is best for your beautiful Lois, and right now you thinking you will wake up and things will be back to where they were before January 22nd You have every right to have a pity party, to cry, to be mad, sad, scared and just down right blah- every parent of a cancer kid has, trust me, I still do. This is a very scary time in your lives, try to keep your head held high and have trust in the doctors and nurses. Children are so strong and Lois will be the one that will get you guys through all of this. Nathan has for us. She will be your princess hero as this is just another chapter in her book, and what a great book that will be to read one day. She will beat this. Remember...Lois may have cancer, but cancer DOES NOT have her. You guys are in my hearts. I know we just met, but please let me know if there is ANYTHING you need. Take what people offer (I had to learn that), you will need your strength. I hope to see you guys around the clinic or at all of the great functions they have for the kids. Take care.

Love, Emily, Jamie and Nathan

www.caringbridge.org/visit/nathanthurston

Devon said...

Here from Zoey's blog. We are praying for you and Lois' treatments. She is absolutely precious.

Wanna know something funny? My son Dakin's blog is called The Daily Dakin!