
Check this out! The Down Syndrome Association here in Richmond sponsors a Buddy Walk. The Buddy Walk was established by the National Down Syndrome Society to promote acceptance, awareness and inclusion of people with Down syndrome and to celebrate Down Syndrome Awareness Month in October. It has evolved into the single largest awareness vehicle for DS worldwide. These events only take place in larger cities around the country - and little 'ole Richmond has one. Exciting!!!
I'm so stoked about this that I got in touch with the woman who is organizing it and volunteered my services. I did, however, give her a list of things I'm not willing to do. Like, I hate making phone calls. So don't ask me to call anyone. And I don't like asking for donations. So don't send me to any businesses to try to wrangle some free stuff. I've got an infant daughter, so setting up before and cleaning up after would be tough for me. I guess I should have just told her I'd show up with a dozen cupcakes since cooking seems to be the only thing I'm able to do. I'm hoping she'll find a way to "use" me because I really do want to help.
How can you help? Well - you are welcome to attend the Buddy Walk at the University of Richmond on October 11 and hang out with the Bean. There will be lots of food, entertainment, and fun for the whole family. If you register as a walker, you get a free T-shirt. Who doesn't love a T-shirt? If you're interested in registering and joining us, here's the link: www.firstgiving.com/dsagr Don't forget to register as a member of Lois's team: Butter Bean's Buddies.
If you can't be in Richmond in October, you can help by sponsoring Lois. Go to her fundraising website and pledge any amount of money you'd like. It's totally safe - and Lois will appreciate your support: www.firstgiving.com/loishogan
Thanks friends!
No comments:
Post a Comment