Tuesday, June 17, 2008

An update from 2161B

That's what we're calling our new address. 2161B. B for Basement. We're all moved in and snug as a couple of bugs in a rug. Martha's basement really does provide us everything we need to live a pretty normal day to day life. Got to go up two flights for a shower, but other than that - we're all set. Jay's new work hours and long commute has him pulling into the driveway at about 6:30pm on a good day which is a bit of a bummer. I got used to handing Lois off at 5:30 and going about the business of dinner and laundry, etc. These days, at 5:30pm I'm looking for a trash bag big enough to hold Lois, 2 dogs, and 2 cats because there are all simultaneously driving me to drink. Sometimes my sister or Scootie show up and I get some relief - and Lois is safe from the dumpster for another day.

I haven't taken any pictures of our new cellar abode - it's a bit dark sometimes and not conducive to pictures. You'll notice that Lois's 8 month birthday has come and gone and I still haven't done her Baxter Bunny photo shoot. I must get on that. I brought Baxter the whole way from Christinsburg just so I could continue to take her monthly photo with him. I think most parents do something similar to try to get a visual of their child's growth in that first year. Here's our little bean with Baxter at 2 months old:



And here she is with Baxter at 7 months:



Holy baby fat, Batman! Breast milk does a body good! (Too bad it's done the same thing to my body. I thought you were supposed to LOSE weight when you breastfed?)

If I had taken Lois's picture yesterday, it would have looked something like this:



Yesterday was the hardest day I ever had as a stay at home Mom. Lois literally cried all day long. I gave her Tylenol. No effect. I gave her Gas-X. No effect. I sang to her. I continuously stuck a pacifier in her mouth. I bounced, I patted, I did everything I could think of. She just wanted to scream. At about 5:00pm when my head was about to split open and Lois was in danger of being stuffed into the sofa cushions, I called Jay sobbing. Totally not like me. Never done it before and I hope to never do it again. I'm not proud of it, but I called my husband who is an hour away from me and begged for help. Assistance. Support. Hard liquor. ANYTHING. He got in the car and came home. And about 5 minutes after I called him, she stopped crying and smiled at me. What a little turkey. He got home, fed her some veggies, held her tight, put her in her crib, and she was out for the night. Sometimes life just isn't fair.

Here's one really big positive I've found about our move to Richmond:
This organization is BIG and well organized and they have a play group of parents and babies with DS that Lois and I immediately joined. I'm really excited about that. Lois loves staring and laughing at her 2 cousins, but I think it will be really good for her to be around some babies - especially babies with DS. This organization also hosts a Buddy Walk - which is a large fund raising event for DS. Kind of like a Relay for Life. I'll be posting some more information about that in a few days - hopefully some of you will be willing to support Lois's team - "Butter Bean's Buddies" - and give some of your hard earned money to a good cause. The money goes to the National DS organization. I won't be using it to purchase scrapbook supplies - or to stock the liquor cabinet for the next time Lois turns into a demon. I promise.

Hope all is well with you guys back in C'burg. I'm actually going to see my friend W tomorrow who is here in Richmond babysitting her grandsons. And my friend S is in town as well. Lucky, lucky me! If any of you are coming this way, don't forget to get in touch. My (sister's) basement is your basement!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I figured out why Lois sobbed all day on Monday, she finally relized that her Auntie Gina was gone. Don't worry Lois I will see you soon. I miss you too,BG

Anonymous said...

Um, hello? I do believe that I was involved in coming to your rescue too?! It was ME that cooked dinner for everyone (okay, Chick-Fil-A helped) and it was ME that remembered the tyranny of pants and let her coo nekkid in front of a fan for a few minutes, right? I even let her barf her nasty curdled bean green junk on my shoulder. So where's the love? Just another example of landlords gettin' the shaft from their tenants.....