Monday, June 23, 2008

What a weekend!

The reason for Lois's demonic behavior became all too clear by the end of last week. The butter bean was hopelessly constipated and I had no idea what to do to help her. We haven't had this problem since Lois was 2 months old, and we won't even go into what her GI doctor did to help her out back then. (The nightmares still haven't gone away.) We had some apple juice in the house, so I mixed it with some water and hoped for the best. By Friday, it was clear that Lois needed medical attention and I needed a handful of tranquilizers. Jay took Friday off of work and we added a visit to the pediatrician to our long list of chores we needed to accomplish that day.

Our first stop was the Goddard School where Maggie wanted to bring Lois as her show and tell. Our little spit fire did a 180 and was so shy and quiet she could hardly look at her classmates while telling them about her cousin. I suggested she tell them how old she was. Maggie responded, "One week old." Lois and Maggie share a birthday. In October. Of last year. So what the heck was our princess thinking? It was really odd to see Maggie like that?!

We drove by a few houses that we found online, but didn't really see anything we liked. In fact, what we learned from that outing was where we DIDN'T want to live. Zoiks. But since our house STILL isn't on the market, I guess it doesn't matter.

We dropped in at the ACAC in Midlothian. It's a health club that my sister belongs to. It's big and has a pretty awesome pool. Can you see it in the back left hand corner? Tube slides, a heated lap pool, and an area for little beans like ours. We need to join to knock off the 50 or so pounds we've each gained - but the pool was an added bonus. We ended up in the office of a very nice young membership coordinator in order to talk about the exact amount of money it would take to become members. (Believe me - you don't want to know the amount. You'd cough up a lung.) But while we were in this cramped cubicle, Lois's apple juice did it's work and her week long problem sorted itself out. Holy aromas, Batman! I'm not sure who was more relieved. Lois or me?!

Next stop: pediatrician. Behind the examination table was a full length mirror that had Lois absolutely captivated. Yes - I had put her in front of a mirror before, but she never really seemed very interested. Well - on this day she decided that a mirror was the most interesting thing she'd ever seen. Look at her checking herself out! Why did I just happen to have my camera with me at the pediatrician's office? I can't answer that, because I'm not sure myself. But I'm glad I did or I would have missed this little bit of classic Lois cuteness. I want to make sure you all notice those nice straight arms. T-Rex be gone!!!

That evening, Lois took her first trip to the pool. I'll have to share those photos with you tomorrow. (Believe me, they will be worth the wait.) Lois and I are heading to the ACAC this morning. I need to squeeze my sausage like thighs into some shorts and ready myself for leaving Lois at the "kid zone" with a perfect stranger for an hour. Not sure which of those is going to take longer. But honestly, I'm kind of looking forward to getting a shower without worrying if Lois's is suffocating, strangling herself, choking, falling off the bed.......well, you get the idea..

1 comment:

Teressa said...

I love that picture with her and Jay in the mirror!!!! that is so sweet...