
We made it. We are now official residents of Richmond. Jay and I spent a horrible weekend in Christiansburg packing up our things and getting the house ready to put on the market. I told Jay I wasn't sure I had ever been so tired. He reminded me of how tired I was the last time we moved. Moving stinks, people. Bottom line. Although we pulled out of there in a Penske truck on Sunday, the house officially isn't on the market yet. It's being cleaned from top to bottom - thankfully by someone other than ME - and the tile in the foyer is getting a face lift. There were some shattered tiles left over from the previous owners that we are having replaced. A guy name Art is doing it for us, and he is my new best friend. When I tell you that Art's rates are reasonable, it's the understatement of the year. So if any of my Christiansburg friends have any tile projects that you haven't tackled because you thought they would be cost prohibitive, let me know and I'll give you his information. I heart Art. That's all I'm saying.
Thankfully, the entire Hogan family and the Ya-Ya and the Pops were here last Wednesday to attend the preschool graduation of Miss Margaret. That's right, the princess is headed to kindergarten. I hope kindergarten is ready for her. She's a live wire. A spit fire. A free spirit. She makes me laugh. I hope she has the same effect on her teacher this fall. Otherwise, things could get ugly.
Richmond's climate is similar to that of a sub tropical rain forest. It's 99 degrees here with 99% humidity and a 99% chance of sweaty thighs, chubb rub, and frizzy hair. I wasn't really prepared for this. Nor was Lois. She's woken up in the middle of the night almost every night this week and she NEVER does that. Martha's air conditioner can't keep up. Go figure. Anwyay, here's Lois in one of her sleeveless dresses - a part of her wardrobe that will have to expand quickly - and my sister. Now I ask you - why didn't I get that chin? Why don't I have straight shiny hair like that? Why aren't I petite? Because genetics screwed me, that's why. Doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I had a rather large brownie for breakfast this morning. Nope. It's genetics.
And here's the Ya-Ya and the Pops with the kiddos. Our little graduate is looking sweet, isn't she? Looks like Andy just made some kind of comment that the Ya-Ya didn't appreciate. Where is Lois, you ask? I'll tell you. She was busy freaking her Mother out. Midway through the celebration, Lois decided to start holding her neck at a VERY strange angle - totally tilted to one side. It was weird. Very weird. She would NOT straighten it out and I tried to do it for her and it woudn't budge. I was FREAKING OUT! Convinced myself she had a brain tumor and went to bed wondering how we were ever going to pay the medical bills.
4 comments:
My vote? Psycho.
Actually, I was wrong. My vote is that you are Psycho McPsychoston.
The music playing in the background is "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star." You've just experienced what we over-protective, paranoid mother's refer to as just another reason that we're over-protective and paranoid! You are not a psycho or a McPsychoston. You're a freaking crazy mommy, aka a mommy Mcnutnut and it won't ever end! Welcome to the world!
I could have warned you about the weather in Richmond...even frigid me just about smothered. I would forget how cool the air gets here in the mountains at night. More than once I had to go out and buy jeans for the evenings. Mom finally suggested I just leave a pair here. Lois was just adjusting to her new environment. She can sense things are different. She is in a different place. You better worry. I would be mad at you if you didn't. Hope to see you Tues. My D is coming with me.
Post a Comment