Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Back to the Grind


We're back from the beach and trying to get back into some kind of routine. I'm not sure why we're bothering considering we're leaving town again tomorrow. Well, at least Lois and I are. Well, actually Lois is leaving and then coming back. It's confusing, people - but suffice it to say that Lois is visiting our dear Dr. M in Roanoke tomorrow for her blood check, having a quick visit with her Grandmother, and then returning to Richmond with her Dad. I'm heading to Christiansburg to get a jump start on the packing. And by packing, I mean socializing. Lots and lots of socializing. I am SO looking forward to seeing my peeps again. *sniff* I miss you all so much....

In the meantime, the bean has had her 9 month check up with her new pediatrician - who I totally dig - and didn't have to have any shots. Glory be and the saints be praised. That's a huge deal for me. Since she was born, Lois has had to have her blood drawn every month to check for leukemia and I have to deal with PTSD for three days afterwards. I've got no problem with getting stuck myself, but watching them dig in Lois's arm every month, and hearing her scream, and seeing her bang her head against the table is really almost more than I can take. Jay is always like, "it's for her own good!" But I dragged him along on one particularly memorable visit and left him in the room with Lois for the blood letting. And what do you know? He changed his tune pretty quick. He emerged from that room ashen faced and quite contrite. Just how I like him. We've graduated to bi-monthly blood checks now. That's where we're headed tomorrow. Jay's working, so I'm on my own and am already mentally preparing myself for it.

Someone in the DS group here posted this article to the yahoo group, and I thought it was interesting - especially considering my rant on good 'ole Dr. D the other day. Take a look if you have time:

Down Syndrome Article

To all of you who have made a donation to Lois's Buddy Walk fundraising page, thanks so much. Your generosity really is overwhelming. I've got homemade thank you's to send each of you, but with the way things are going around here, look for it in your mailbox sometime around Thanksgiving. Of next year.


I tried to take some pictures of sleeping Lois today but I have trouble with the lighting here in 2161B. Since we're talking photography here, I'm happy to report that Regina has totally reformed her photography skills due to the fact that she is now the proud owner of a digital Rebel XTi. She got some cute pictures of the bean at the beach, so I'll fully retract my previously ugly remarks about her photographic abilities - or lack thereof. I think my sister (the family's official photographer who deserves her own digital Rebel) is responsible for the above picture - and I know Lois kind of looks half baked, but I love how you can see the individual droplets of water behind her. She was splashing in the cute pool Auntie Regina bought her. Can I tell you how lucky my kid is?

Look for an update on the big move next week. I intend to fully document my last few days in my sweet house in the 'burg.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Girl you better pack, pack, pack. Don't leave it all for poor Jay. I mean it, I will be calling you every hour and ruining all your social events. So just get packing.
Yours Truely,
RMA