Thursday, July 10, 2008

Lots of Good News

Most importantly, Baby M came through her surgery like a trooper and is on the mend! Thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers. We've met lots and lots of kids with DS who had to have the same surgery little M had and we feel quite lucky to have dodged that particular bullet with Lois. Hooray for the little nugget - I know her parents are so glad to have this over with! The doctors have told her it looks like she'll be able to go home this weekend. WOW!

Here's a second bit of good news. Lois is being weaned. Why is this good news, you ask? I'M FREE AT LAST! That's why. I have managed to pump my breast milk for 9 months, and I'd now like to take that little blue machine and throw it out the window. If Lois had ever learned to take it directly from the tap I might feel differently. But can I tell you what a drag it is to sit around 6 times a day with your boobs in your hands and stare at the walls? (My male readers may not be able to comprehend the downside of that.) And orchestrating time to do it everyday. And the panic that ensues if you've gone for too long without doing it. Not to mention the pain. Not being able to sleep on your belly. And can I tell you what a drag it was to visit Las Vegas for a week and have to run to the casino bathroom every few hours to drain the dairy? I mean, when it starts to cut into your gambling time, that's when it's time to quit.

I kid, people. I kid. It's just time, OK? I started Lois on an ounce of formula in each bottle the other day, and so far, so good. I'm trying to decrease the number of times a day I'm playing "dairy queen", too. So hopefully, when we return to Christiansburg at the beginning of August, I can return this blasted pump to the lactation ladies at Montgomery Regional. I paid $60 a month for the pleasure of all of this boob holding. I wonder if formula wouldn't have been cheaper? But I know it was a really good thing for the baby girl. She's fat and happy and healthy, so I guess all that boobie juice (as Andy calls it) did the trick. So I suppose I feel pretty good about that.

What's funny is that there is TONS of information on the internet regarding breastfeeding - when to do it, how to do it, what to watch out for, what to avoid, etc. etc. etc. But there is almost NO information on what to do when you want to quit. And what's worse is - I've seen several pages where mothers wrote in with questions about weaning and the fascist lactators blast her for being selfish. Holy cow! Imagine if I told them I wanted to wean so it wouldn't interrupt my gambling trips. Good lord. They'd hang me from the rafters and beat me to death with nursing bras. Seriously, I believe giving Lois breast milk was one of the best decisions I ever made. But I think the decision to do it or not - and the decision to quit when you decide to do it - should be left up to the mother. And guess what? I'M DONE!

Anyway - Lois doesn't even seem to realize there's anything going on. Meanwhile, I am miserable. The only think I can think about are my boobs. They're hard as rocks. Hot. Tender. My head hurts. I get shooting, stabbing pains. But darn it, I'll get through this. And they shall be mine, once again. They'll probably be saggy and flaccid. But they'll be all mine.

Now it's unlike me to make a post and not include some kind of photograph. But seeing as the topic of discussion for today was my boobs, you'll understand why I chose NOT to post any photos for your viewing pleasure. I do happen to have a photo of my pump:


Not very exciting, is it.

So here's some pictures I snapped of the girlie this morning. She's wearing a hat the Ya-Ya bought her that I realized today wasn't going to fit her this winter. So I stuck it on her head and tried to stop laughing hard enough to take a picture or two.

OK. Her eyes are all but closed in this picture, but I included it so that you could see that Lois indeed, does have a neck.

And here she is playing with a FABULOUS toy my friend W sent her this week. She loves it, W. Thank you!!! And actually, every time the neighbor kids (Andy and Maggie) come down for a visit, they like to play with it too. Hah!


And finally, I'm including this one because it shows off Lois's latest skill. That's right. The butter bean is sitting up...FINALLY!!!!

But I bet you didn't even notice it because you were too busy laughing about that hat. I'm right, aren't I. I can hear you laughing from here......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obviously the Ya has too much time and money on her hands. That is the dumbest hat I have ever seen.

Anonymous said...

Well I think the hat is very cute. The YaYa had excellent taste with this purchase. Oh and Catherine it brings me great joy to think I don't have to sit and witness the draining of the dairy ever again, nor touch another warm bottle of boobie juice. RMA

Anonymous said...

I loved what was inside that hat! She is precious..........